Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Games (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Forum: Big Boys (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+--- Thread: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* (/showthread.php?tid=7337)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - Wedge - 05-08-2008

Oh by the way, we should have The Hidden up sometime too.

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - copulatingduck - 05-08-2008

Wow, that was much better than I expected it to be  Big Grin

I would totally vote for PVK again. Also, I'm in favor of The Hidden much more than Dystopia. There's a lot less rules and stuff you have to learn to play it. Dystopia is complicated. The Hidden isn't. I expect people would stick with The Hidden longer than Dystopia (ask Vandam, he tried it out, but didn't seem too impressed). Is it possible to vote for The Hidden instead? Or we could wait a week too...

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - Surf314 - 05-08-2008

It was a lot of fun.

I was giggling like a little school girl for most of it.  If we do play again we should tweak the map rotation though.  Some maps I wanted to play more than one round, some werent very fun.  Some were awesome!

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - Eschatos - 05-08-2008

Great fun, though any lag ruins it.  I also think The Hidden would be a better choice than Dystopia.

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - Vandamguy - 05-08-2008

duno about the hidden, but if people are recommending it ill play it.

dystopia was is hard to get into in the beginning,  i only just learned what the mods you could get did, forget about what you're supposed to do to win a map

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - quantum_dot - 05-08-2008

This is my Dtoid nick; I'm quantum_dot on Steam.

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - Wedge - 05-08-2008

Well the main reason I'd suggest The Hidden, is because we can play a game of it easily with however many people we have around.  No reason we can't have that AND Dystopia up, are all those other mods getting so many votes?

Also I love PVKII, but I don't wanna play it on a EC server again =P.

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - quantum_dot - 05-08-2008

Aww, I missed it because I got on too late again. Sucks.

Yeah, I wish there was single player for Dystopia so I could learn all the rules.

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - Surf314 - 05-09-2008

(05-08-2008, 10:59 PM)Wedge link Wrote: Well the main reason I'd suggest The Hidden, is because we can play a game of it easily with however many people we have around.  No reason we can't have that AND Dystopia up, are all those other mods getting so many votes?

Also I love PVKII, but I don't wanna play it on a EC server again =P.

What does EC server mean?  Also its the server that FlyingMongoose set up for us for all mods.  So we got some control over it depending on what he's up for.  He's got all HL1 mods installed on it that we could possibly want.  And he's willing to do some HL2 mods if we give him warning.

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - ScottyGrayskull - 05-09-2008

Unless we could guarantee twice the turnout as last night, I wouldn't recommend PVKII again. It's got potential, but small matches doing anything other than the deathmatch pit (which was retardedly fun) were not nearly on the level that I'd imagine they'd be if we had the players.

(05-09-2008, 08:56 AM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: Unless we could guarantee twice the turnout as last night, I wouldn't recommend PVKII again. It's got potential, but small matches doing anything other than the deathmatch pit (which was retardedly fun) were not nearly on the level that I'd imagine they'd be if we had the players.

Agreed on the retarded fun.  ZOMG when a skirmisher randomly through a powder keg into the battle, it was retarded chaos.  Vandam you better have some good video for us.

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - fyre - 05-09-2008

(05-09-2008, 08:56 AM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: Unless we could guarantee twice the turnout as last night, I wouldn't recommend PVKII again. It's got potential, but small matches doing anything other than the deathmatch pit (which was retardedly fun) were not nearly on the level that I'd imagine they'd be if we had the players.

I agree. I'd play DM again, or the other maps if there were more people.

For next week, Jailbreak just came out and looks interesting.

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - copulatingduck - 05-09-2008

Just an FYI:

EC probably means East Coast server. The latencies are not much fun for melee battles, the same shit happens in TF2.

I thought PVK was retardedly fucking fun, had no problems with it whatsoever (though my ping was in the single digits all night; sorry guys). The only team I really enjoyed was the Pirates, just because their weapons were so fucking ridiculous I couldn't stop laughing. Would play again.

Mrs. Duck was not pleased at all.

Also, The Hidden in brief:
Basically, some scientists were doing science, when they created an invisible, superhuman, murdering machine. This guy can jump 50 feet in the air, explode you just by stabbing you with a knife, feed on your dead body for the gift of life, etc. This guy also broke loose. He is known as The Hidden. There is one Hidden, and an entire squad of Special Forces/SWAT guys. They get some gear to help them detect this Hidden guy, like motion detectors, etc. Their orders are to take him out.

That's the basic premise, I remember this game scaring the shit out of me late at night in my younger days. Very fun, even with just a few people.

(05-09-2008, 11:17 AM)copulatingduck link Wrote: Mrs. Duck was not pleased at all.

Same

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - Vandamguy - 05-09-2008

voted for hidden Smile

yes i as loling really loud last night , but you guys already knew that.

(05-09-2008, 12:14 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: voted for hidden Smile

I was too, it was hard not to.  Also I thought I should start reviewing the mods for Dtoid to generate interest.  That is assuming that people read it instead of flaming each other...

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - CaffeinePowered - 05-09-2008

(05-09-2008, 12:28 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=221.msg6062#msg6062 date=1210353271]
voted for hidden Smile

I was too, it was hard not to.  Also I thought I should start reviewing the mods for Dtoid to generate interest.  That is assuming that people read it instead of flaming each other...
[/quote]

I wouldn't bother wasting your time :|

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - Vandamguy - 05-09-2008

(05-09-2008, 02:23 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=221.msg6063#msg6063 date=1210354089]
[quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=221.msg6062#msg6062 date=1210353271]
voted for hidden Smile

[/quote]

[/quote]

ignore the drama llama , he has a hard time putting the past behind him.
he's going through therapy now though.
we call it alcohol.

I loved your article Surf, but it was less of a review and more of a rant.
A review might have critiqued aspects of the game and not gone off on a tangent about blowing someone up with a powder keg.
But its your article , so whatever you want Smile

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - copulatingduck - 05-09-2008

(05-09-2008, 08:57 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=221.msg6085#msg6085 date=1210360990]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=221.msg6063#msg6063 date=1210354089]
voted for hidden Smile

[/quote]

[/quote]

we call it alcohol.

A review might have critiqued aspects of the game and not gone off on a tangent about blowing someone up with a powder keg.
[/quote]

It's an article in that it is exactly what passes for an article on Destructoid. Take that however you want.

Re: Obscure HL Thursday 5/8 *Back to the roots edition* - Surf314 - 05-10-2008

(05-09-2008, 10:20 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: [quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=221.msg6150#msg6150 date=1210384639]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=221.msg6085#msg6085 date=1210360990]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=221.msg6063#msg6063 date=1210354089]
voted for hidden Smile

[/quote]

[/quote]

we call it alcohol.

[/quote]

It's an article in that it is exactly what passes for an article on Destructoid. Take that however you want.
[/quote]

=( I think I've been insulted.  I was trying to explain the game mostly.  I didn't actual get to review much because I noticed how long explaining took.