Be Right Back, Uninstalling
First Watchmen Review in. - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: First Watchmen Review in. (/showthread.php?tid=9487)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - HuckBerryGee - 03-06-2009

I confirm, it's a very good movie, my expectations were very low, I really thought this was going to be a huge screwup.
As it's already been told, pretty much the best translation from comic book to movie, some scenes were missing but points still made it across.(extended version pls)

Also, Dr. Manhattan's dick swinging, not cool.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - Dave - 03-06-2009

is all the pirate shit in here?

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - CaffeinePowered - 03-06-2009

Listened to a review on NPR today that was not favorable, and likened the movie as taking something that's very deep and making it into a kiddie pool because it just can't translate well to the big screen. I'm sure it will be a good movie, but I'm not so sure I want to spend my money on it just yet, perhaps downloading would be better.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - JoKeRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - 03-06-2009

(03-06-2009, 08:31 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: not so sure I want to spend my money on it just yet, perhaps downloading would be better.
Sure bout that? Seems like seeing it on the big screen is one of the factors that makes it as good as it is.  :-\

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - CaffeinePowered - 03-06-2009

(03-06-2009, 08:42 AM)JoKeRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=2421.msg70298#msg70298 date=1236346292]
not so sure I want to spend my money on it just yet, perhaps downloading would be better.
Sure bout that? Seems like seeing it on the big screen is one of the factors that makes it as good as it is.  :-\
[/quote]

I could always wait until it gets into a cheaper theater, movies are just ridiculously expensive IMO, but theaters price gouging is a discussion for another thread...

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - Surf314 - 03-06-2009

(03-06-2009, 08:31 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: Listened to a review on NPR today that was not favorable, and likened the movie as taking something that's very deep and making it into a kiddie pool because it just can't translate well to the big screen. I'm sure it will be a good movie, but I'm not so sure I want to spend my money on it just yet, perhaps downloading would be better.

Keep in mind I have never heard a positive review from that guy on NPR.  Not that his complaints aren't justified but he represents the typical overstimulated film buff that compares everything to a large list of standards instead of just saying if it was enjoyable or not.  Ebert gave it 4 stars and I generally trust him even though he can be a dick sometimes.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - Scary Womanizing Pig Mask - 03-06-2009

A.O. Scott didn't like it either :S From what I've heard from friends though, it's pretty great, especially what they expanded on from the book, like The Comedian's time in Vietnam.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - Eschatos - 03-06-2009

:'(  My friend's mom is pissed at her, so I'm gonna have to wait at least a few days to see this. 

Also I hear there is no blue scrotum.  Is this true?

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - JoKeRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - 03-06-2009

I just saw it, was alright.

Very well put together, not a jumbled mess like I expected it to be. This is mostly because of the change to the end. Without the change to the ending they would have to include a whole load of subplots, which would make the movie ridiculously hours long. This makes the new ending very shallow compared to the original.

Kind of spoilers?:
The plot with the psychoanalyst was scrapped. Shouldn't have been. It would have added a lot to the movie's final message. The part where Rorschach finds his face in the prison pissed me off.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - Spore - 03-06-2009

Just saw it. It is very good, very well put together, but everybody ought to read the book before seeing it. Makes the story much easier to understand as some things are loosely explained in the movie due to time restraints. I anticipate the Director's Cut.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - Squishy3 - 03-06-2009

(03-06-2009, 10:36 PM)Spore link Wrote: Just saw it. It is very good, very well put together, but everybody ought to read the book before seeing it. Makes the story much easier to understand as some things are loosely explained in the movie due to time restraints. I anticipate the Director's Cut.
Yeah, I'm buying this on Blu-Ray, and definitely at least rentingTales of the Black Freighter.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - KarthXLR - 03-06-2009

(03-06-2009, 10:52 PM)Squishy3 link Wrote: [quote author=Spore link=topic=2421.msg70399#msg70399 date=1236397009]
Just saw it. It is very good, very well put together, but everybody ought to read the book before seeing it. Makes the story much easier to understand as some things are loosely explained in the movie due to time restraints. I anticipate the Director's Cut.
Yeah, I'm buying this on Blu-Ray, and definitely at least rentingTales of the Black Freighter.
[/quote]
I'd love to buy this on blu-ray, but my parents might die of a heart attack by then.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - Surf314 - 03-06-2009

Was the whole pirates thing in there?  I heard it was cut and is being released as a companion DVD.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - bjlsurfer - 03-07-2009

(03-06-2009, 10:36 PM)Spore link Wrote: Just saw it. It is very good, very well put together, but everybody ought to read the book before seeing it. Makes the story much easier to understand as some things are loosely explained in the movie due to time restraints. I anticipate the Director's Cut.
This.  The wired article I read about it said the original cut was over three hours, so clearly there's good footage that didn't make it in.
(03-06-2009, 11:52 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: Was the whole pirates thing in there?  I heard it was cut and is being released as a companion DVD.
Black Freighter is going to be an animated short (not sure how short a short is) on the DVD.

Overall, I'm impressed.  I mean, the comic is better, but I think the movie is a pretty good representation, which is more than can be said about most movies adapted from books.  There are things to nitpick about, but as a whole it was beautiful and visceral, and it reminded me why I loved the graphic novel so much.  I recommend.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - Trace - 03-07-2009

Overall I liked it. I mean it was super far from what I wanted it to be. It had several things that just pissed me off.
1. Music, I know some of the tracks were in the novel but the score and the other tracks didn't really seem to flow with the movie for me.
2. Zzzzaaaacccckkkk Snyyyyydddeeerrrr lllllooooooovvvvveeeessss ssslllllooooooowwwmmoooo(shit's old)
3. Silk Specter 2 could've been hotter  Tongue
Despite these and other flaws I still found my self enjoying the film.  I wouldn't pay to see it again(in theaters), but I'm far from regretting seeing it the first time. 
Also rorschach was perfect  ;D

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - HeK - 03-07-2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIhHema5PNg

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - cannedpeahes - 03-07-2009

In other news, what alien body is possessing Roger Ebert? There is something just odd and uncoordinated about that review, and I'm kind of in awe of it. It's enigmatic. Does he have a brain tumor or something?

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - CaffeinePowered - 03-07-2009

Yea, saw this last night, it was good

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - Surf314 - 03-07-2009

(03-07-2009, 03:19 AM)peaches link Wrote: In other news, what alien body is possessing Roger Ebert? There is something just odd and uncoordinated about that review, and I'm kind of in awe of it. It's enigmatic. Does he have a brain tumor or something?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/03/were_all_puppets_laurie_im_jus.html

His journal too.

Re: First Watchmen Review in. - cannedpeahes - 03-07-2009

(03-07-2009, 02:54 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=peaches link=topic=2421.msg70440#msg70440 date=1236413976]
In other news, what alien body is possessing Roger Ebert? There is something just odd and uncoordinated about that review, and I'm kind of in awe of it. It's enigmatic. Does he have a brain tumor or something?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/03/were_all_puppets_laurie_im_jus.html

His journal too.
[/quote]

I just think he needs to read the comic books. He's wandering off into the desert here, rambling about Dr. Manhattan being the most "metaphysically intriguing". He... he's just rambling. The rambling!

And I dare you to un-horrify yourself after this:
Quote:Why does he even bother to make love with Laurie Jupiter? Not for his own pleasure, I'm convinced. And not to father a Little Manhattan, either, because as I understand his body he would ejaculate only energy. Could be fun for Laurie, but no precautions needed, except not to be grounded at the time.