Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Server Rotation - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Old Boards (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: TF2 (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Server Rotation (/showthread.php?tid=3791)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: Server Rotation - copulatingduck - 04-22-2010

Imo coldfront is just too huge for anything but a full server. Unfortunately, it has killed the server pop every time it's come up in rotation the 2 or 3 days I've played this week. Has yukon been given a chance in the rotation since it became a stock map? I feel like it plays much better, and would be more likely to maintain or grow server pop.

Re: Server Rotation - CaffeinePowered - 04-22-2010

(04-22-2010, 05:48 AM)Duck link Wrote: Imo coldfront is just too huge for anything but a full server. Unfortunately, it has killed the server pop every time it's come up in rotation the 2 or 3 days I've played this week. Has yukon been given a chance in the rotation since it became a stock map? I feel like it plays much better, and would be more likely to maintain or grow server pop.

I think we had Yukon on for a time when it was still a custom map, we only have one spot on rotation where there's two customs back to back, so I think it could fit into there.

Coldfront I think we need to give more time. I will agree with you that it doesn't scale as well as it should, however it took us a good 2 months or so of having Snowdrift on rotation for it to get to the point where enough people had it for it to not "kill" the server. Last night we managed to keep the server going on it and we kept a good amount of the pubs that were on dustbowl with us, went from 20 down to 16, then slowly crept back up to 20 before we RTV'd to Glacier, which _also_ did not kill the server.

I'm always skeptical of X always kills the server, because any custom map, even the most popular ones, can technically kill the population off. Its a calculated risk, but people that stick around to download a map tend to do so because they are having fun playing there. The more "epic" the previous round of play was, the more likely people will stick around even if it means downloading a custom map.

Also a few words of encouragement like "download the map you pubby faggot" right before the map changes always helps.

I'll add yukon tonight when I get home.

Re: Server Rotation - Kirby - 04-23-2010

(04-22-2010, 07:36 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Duck link=topic=3865.msg148267#msg148267 date=1271933307]
Imo coldfront is just too huge for anything but a full server. Unfortunately, it has killed the server pop every time it's come up in rotation the 2 or 3 days I've played this week. Has yukon been given a chance in the rotation since it became a stock map? I feel like it plays much better, and would be more likely to maintain or grow server pop.

I think we had Yukon on for a time when it was still a custom map, we only have one spot on rotation where there's two customs back to back, so I think it could fit into there.

Coldfront I think we need to give more time. I will agree with you that it doesn't scale as well as it should, however it took us a good 2 months or so of having Snowdrift on rotation for it to get to the point where enough people had it for it to not "kill" the server. Last night we managed to keep the server going on it and we kept a good amount of the pubs that were on dustbowl with us, went from 20 down to 16, then slowly crept back up to 20 before we RTV'd to Glacier, which _also_ did not kill the server.

I'm always skeptical of X always kills the server, because any custom map, even the most popular ones, can technically kill the population off. Its a calculated risk, but people that stick around to download a map tend to do so because they are having fun playing there. The more "epic" the previous round of play was, the more likely people will stick around even if it means downloading a custom map.

Also a few words of encouragement like "download the map you pubby faggot" right before the map changes always helps.

I'll add yukon tonight when I get home.
[/quote]

I pissed off so many people nominate/rtv'ing snowdrift constantly trying to get it popular

Re: Server Rotation - Odin - 04-27-2010

(04-23-2010, 11:30 AM)Kirby, the 40mm shotty Zealot link Wrote: I pissed off so many people nominate/rtv'ing snowdrift constantly trying to get it popular

Ya no kidding, snowdrift became 'nooooodrift' whenever it got rtv'd because you knew everyone except maybe five people would leave :\

Interested to see how Yukon does.  Played it way back when it was added as stock but it seems the map never caught on, maybe because it's not payload.

Re: Server Rotation - CaffeinePowered - 05-24-2010

Yukon seems to be most disliked, any suggestions on replacing it, or any other maps people would like added?

Re: Server Rotation - Odin - 05-24-2010

(05-24-2010, 06:01 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: Yukon seems to be most disliked, any suggestions on replacing it, or any other maps people would like added?

Really?  Whenever it has popped up while I've been on it seems to stay pretty full. :S

Re: Server Rotation - Darklink - 05-24-2010

(05-24-2010, 06:01 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: Yukon seems to be most disliked, any suggestions on replacing it, or any other maps people would like added?
granary/blands maybe gullywash

Re: Server Rotation - Didzo - 05-26-2010

I disagree with coldfront.

Having it right after a popular map leads to having the positive effects of seeding destroyed.

It's too damn big.

Once a team starts pushing, good luck getting any ground back.

Re: Server Rotation - CaffeinePowered - 05-26-2010

(05-26-2010, 07:29 AM)Didzo link Wrote: It's too damn big.

The file or the map itself?

Its no bigger map space wise than Granary, and file wise its smaller than cashworks

Its not as well known of a custom and thus, fewer people have it. But to be honest, any custom map, big or small, after a "popular stock" is going to clean out some of the scrubs

Re: Server Rotation - Didzo - 05-26-2010

(05-26-2010, 07:36 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Didzo link=topic=3865.msg154284#msg154284 date=1274876970]

It's too damn big.

The file or the map itself?

Its no bigger map space wise than Granary, and file wise its smaller than cashworks

Its not as well known of a custom and thus, fewer people have it. But to be honest, any custom map, big or small, after a "popular stock" is going to clean out some of the scrubs
[/quote]

The map itself... Not sure why the file size would be an issue. But that's likely because it's a straight line with plenty of wide open spaces. It cleans out more than the scrubs as well, and usually is ended via GUIZ RTV B4 EVR1 LEAVS.

Edit: Also I hate the map. I don't find it enjoyable and I can't rape effectively as either fattie or demoknight. It makes me rage.

Re: Server Rotation - Odin - 05-26-2010

Coldfront rocks :|

Re: Server Rotation - [fr31ns]Karrde - 05-26-2010

I like Coldfront, but yeah, it's a very heavy unfriendly map in many ways since there's tons of stuff to hide behind to popshot.  The best use of HWG I've seen is Natascha on top of the center point house.

Re: Server Rotation - Gump - 05-27-2010

but nobody cares about heavies

Re: Server Rotation - Didzo - 05-28-2010

(05-27-2010, 01:14 AM)Gump link Wrote: but nobody cares about heavies

:'(

Re: Server Rotation - Odin - 05-28-2010

It's ok, Valve cares.

Oh wait, DH, Huntsman, FAN, spies, snipers, flaregun...

Yea nevermind.

Re: Server Rotation - beep beep diglett - 05-28-2010

dude heavy rapes and is also the easiest class to play i have like 15 hours total and have been getting 5.0 kds with a medic and around 2.5 kd without one and im almost always top of the board, its fucking ridiculous

Re: Server Rotation - Odin - 05-29-2010

(05-28-2010, 03:15 PM)lil d link Wrote: dude heavy rapes and is also the easiest class to play i have like 15 hours total and have been getting 5.0 kds with a medic and around 2.5 kd without one and im almost always top of the board, its fucking ridiculous

Yea but valve adds so many direct heavy counters it is pretty ridiculous.

The recent buff was awesome though, I still get caught with my pants down by the new speed heavies.

Re: Server Rotation - Chief - 05-29-2010

can we take scootlands off of rotation please

less whining from me if you do, so its better for everyone

Re: Server Rotation - copulatingduck - 05-29-2010

(05-29-2010, 03:58 PM)TheDarkChief link Wrote: can we take scootlands off of rotation please

less whining from me if you do, so its better for everyone

urafag no one cares

Re: Server Rotation - beep beep diglett - 05-29-2010

badlands is so fucking terrible, every time it comes up the server dies within half an hour