Be Right Back, Uninstalling
New Map - Type? - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Old Boards (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: TF2 (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: New Map - Type? (/showthread.php?tid=2000)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Map - Type? - ZargonX - 12-21-2008

So, now that I'll have some time free around the holidays, I'm ready to start a new map in earnest.  But, I'm curious as to what game types people want to see more of in maps.  Anything people feel is under-represented, or anything that is so awesome there should more of them?

Re: New Map - Type? - Maxon - 12-21-2008

Personally I really like cart maps.  Focus's the action more and can be intense if the map is built right. But really as long as it's not an arena map, I'm cool with it ;D

Re: New Map - Type? - Scary Womanizing Pig Mask - 12-21-2008

PC Sawmill was a really interesting gametype (PL with CP points that aid the carts capture.)

Re: New Map - Type? - Wedge - 12-21-2008

Wait wat happened to that CTF map?

Re: New Map - Type? - Fail Medic - 12-21-2008

(12-21-2008, 06:10 PM)Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link Wrote: PC Sawmill was a really interesting gametype (PL with CP points that aid the carts capture.)

I agree.  I think it bears further development.  However, Wacky Races takes this concept and gives both teams a vehicle to push and a couple of checkpoints to fight each other over and past.  I was considering suggesting a double payload map where both teams have a bomb cart, but the van interior provides much more cover... I don't know if a dual bomb-cart map would really work right.

Re: New Map - Type? - Chooly - 12-22-2008

Can you make a map that has red defending points on a time limit, and when the time limit is reached another point opens (becomes active? deactivates the previous point?) to defend/attack, and so changing locations creates single point "mini-maps" in succession until either the round ends or the active point is captured.

Re: New Map - Type? - Dave - 12-22-2008

CTF, but theres only one red flag, blue team has to get into the castle/fort/mine and get it back to their base, while blue just has to defend.

instead of this duel flag bullshit.

Re: New Map - Type? - cbre88x - 12-22-2008

(12-22-2008, 06:33 AM)Dave link Wrote: CTF, but theres only one red flag, blue team has to get into the castle/fort/mine and get it back to their base, while blue just has to defend.

2nded. It'd make things interesting.

Re: New Map - Type? - Dave - 12-22-2008

(12-22-2008, 06:37 AM)cbre88x link Wrote: [quote author=Dave link=topic=2038.msg57475#msg57475 date=1229945603]
CTF, but theres only one red flag, blue team has to get into the castle/fort/mine and get it back to their base, while blue just has to defend.

2nded. It'd make things interesting.
[/quote]

also, it should be themed like the begginning of Star wars: a new hope.

Re: New Map - Type? - ScottyGrayskull - 12-22-2008

(12-22-2008, 06:33 AM)Dave link Wrote: CTF, but theres only one red flag, blue team has to get into the castle/fort/mine and get it back to their base, while blue just has to defend.

Maybe a reverse payload? Blue team needs to get the cart away from red's base instead of sending it in.

Re: New Map - Type? - ScottyGrayskull - 12-22-2008

(12-21-2008, 05:36 PM)ZargonX link Wrote: So, now that I'll have some time free around the holidays, I'm ready to start a new map in earnest.  But, I'm curious as to what game types people want to see more of in maps.  Anything people feel is under-represented, or anything that is so awesome there should more of them?

Might as well suggest the two ideas I had but will never do: tc_dustbowl (I maintain that it can be done with only some orientation changes), and tc_big_shell.

Re: New Map - Type? - cbre88x - 12-22-2008

(12-22-2008, 08:26 AM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: tc_big_shell.

YYYYYEEEESSS

+1

Re: New Map - Type? - SAVAGE-0 - 12-22-2008

I stand by my fav map type in CP_Steel ... I dunno what it is, but I really enjoy the gameplay.  the constant change of paths that can/must be taken due to points being cap'd.  It's relatively small, but played in 4-5 very different segments.

Re: New Map - Type? - x - 12-22-2008

I like Dave's idea. You could either score it as how many caps within the time limit or just one cap per round. If the latter, the balance would have to be massively weighed towards RED's advantage and the reset time on the intel should probably be tiny.

Re: New Map - Type? - Geoff - 12-22-2008

I can help too Big Grin  I know how to use hammer Big Grin

I had this idea the other day, with a Well train instead of a cart, so it provides lots of cover like a mini base.

Re: New Map - Type? - [fr31ns]Karrde - 12-22-2008

I still thought that CTF map you were working on was good.

Otherwise I'd love to see a proper flag run (like TFC dustbowl and whatnot), opposite flag (your flag spawns in your base and you need to run it to theirs - there was an awesome TFC map like this, can't remember the name, had 3 different paths at 3 different height levels).

Re: New Map - Type? - CaffeinePowered - 12-22-2008

Quote:Karrde link=topic=2038.msg57579#msg57579 date=1229986584]
Otherwise I'd love to see a proper flag run (like TFC dustbowl and whatnot), opposite flag (your flag spawns in your base and you need to run it to theirs - there was an awesome TFC map like this, can't remember the name, had 3 different paths at 3 different height levels).

ctf_torch2

Re: New Map - Type? - ZargonX - 12-22-2008

I would like to do something in the CTF vein, so those are all some pretty good suggestions!  The attack/defend idea is interesting, Dave, though it'll be tricky to get the balance right.  I guess that's the challenge for the mapmaker...

Re: New Map - Type? - copulatingduck - 12-22-2008

Good CTF maps, as well as good A/D maps in the vein of Gravelpit (NOT Dustbowl). Geothermal and 0fear are the only really good CTF maps that I recall playing, while I can't think of a single good example of a good A/D map (junction is ridiculously small and easily defended with pure spam, the entire map is nothing but chokepoint after chokepoint).

Re: New Map - Type? - [fr31ns]Karrde - 12-22-2008

(12-22-2008, 08:03 PM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: Good CTF maps, as well as good A/D maps in the vein of Gravelpit (NOT Dustbowl). Geothermal and 0fear are the only really good CTF maps that I recall playing, while I can't think of a single good example of a good A/D map (junction is ridiculously small and easily defended with pure spam, the entire map is nothing but chokepoint after chokepoint).

Impact2 maybe?  A very balanced CTF.  Every class has good uses.