Be Right Back, Uninstalling
D & D Help Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: D & D Help Thread (/showthread.php?tid=9464)

Pages: 1 2

D & D Help Thread - Surf314 - 02-24-2009

I'm trying to put together a character and know nothing about D & D.  I'm sure other people have the same problem.  I've been doing a lot of reading but it's still a lot to take in so I'm not just being lazy.  So if you got the time and know this game please help us poor ignorant saps.

As for me I want to get something that gels with my personality because I assume that's the point.  I was thinking elf or gnome but a lot of people are going elf and I think it's better to have rounded team.  As for class I was kinda thinking Monk but it's not on Dave's list.  Bard is supposed to be Gnome's strong class so I might do that but I was thinking of staying away from magic.  I am open to any class that will help the group really.  Also I want to be good, but I can be evil if they need more players.  I'm not entirely sure what each kind of good/bad is supposed to do.  I'm leaning towards Neutral good.  What will let me steal shit or do dirty things that need to be done?

Re: D & D Help Thread - Tragic Hero - 02-24-2009

(02-24-2009, 09:05 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I'm trying to put together a character and know nothing about D & D.  I'm sure other people have the same problem.  I've been doing a lot of reading but it's still a lot to take in so I'm not just being lazy.  So if you got the time and know this game please help us poor ignorant saps.

As for me I want to get something that gels with my personality because I assume that's the point.  I was thinking elf or gnome but a lot of people are going elf and I think it's better to have rounded team.  As for class I was kinda thinking Monk but it's not on Dave's list.  Bard is supposed to be Gnome's strong class so I might do that but I was thinking of staying away from magic.  I am open to any class that will help the group really.  Also I want to be good, but I can be evil if they need more players.  I'm not entirely sure what each kind of good/bad is supposed to do.  I'm leaning towards Neutral good.  What will let me steal shit or do dirty things that need to be done?

Just make what you would like or what suits you.  Hell im going with Half-Elf fighter but Half-Elves aren't quite the best race for fighter but its what I want.  Unless I am wrong, it doesn't seem like this is going to be the type of D&D troupe that is out for maximum potential.

Re: D & D Help Thread - Surf314 - 02-24-2009

I been reading and I think I'm going to do gnome and dual class in Monk and Bard if Dave will let me.  Gnome doesn't get a XP penalty for multi-classing if one class is Bard.  The only thing is I don't wanna be so short  :-\

Re: D & D Help Thread - Eschatos - 02-24-2009

Multiclassing usually isn't a good thing.  You're only half as strong in each class as you would be if you only took that one class.  As for the character creation, I think the manual explains it fine.  All you need is a little dice rolling and some paper to write stuff down with.  If you really need help send me a Steam message.

Re: D & D Help Thread - Scary Womanizing Pig Mask - 02-24-2009

I'm thinking of switching my class from a halfling to either an elf or a human (or a half and half), for no other reason then I don't want to be some midget :S Would that work out well for a Cleric (specializing in healing) or am I stuck being a runt?

Re: D & D Help Thread - Luinbariel - 02-24-2009

Don't dual class if you don't know what you're doing.

I would suggest a halfling or gnomish rogue, you might enjoy that.

Why does the character builder require a reboot?  That worries me.  :-[

Re: D & D Help Thread - Benito Mussolini - 02-24-2009

Also, check with me if you want to do something that isn't on Dave list.

Also, monk should be there, on the list. Be a monk if you want to, I actually really like monks.

Also, being small has many advantage. You don't want to be a really big creature in this game.

Also, ....

Also, ....

Also, ....

Also, ....

Also, ....

Also, ....

Also, ....

Also, ....

Also, ....

Also, ....

EDIT, while I was typing, this appeared:
(02-24-2009, 09:39 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: Why does the character builder require a reboot?  That worries me.  :-[
Don't use it.

Re: D & D Help Thread - Versus - 02-24-2009

I'm already a halfling rogue Tongue

Re: D & D Help Thread - Eschatos - 02-24-2009

(02-24-2009, 09:39 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: Why does the character builder require a reboot?  That worries me.  :-[

The character builder is for version 4 of D&D.  We're using version 3.5.  There's link to the book in the main thread.

(02-24-2009, 10:23 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=2398.msg68690#msg68690 date=1235529578]
Why does the character builder require a reboot?  That worries me.  :-[

The character builder is for version 4 of D&D.  We're using version 3.5.  There's link to the book in the main thread.
[/quote]

Got it.  I'm going to be a gnome monk I've decided.

Re: D & D Help Thread - fyre - 02-24-2009

[move]lol u guys r nerds[/move]

Re: D & D Help Thread - Benito Mussolini - 02-24-2009

(02-24-2009, 10:38 PM)fyre link Wrote: [move]lol u guys r nerds[/move]

thanks, artsie

Re: D & D Help Thread - Versus - 02-24-2009

if this gets off the ground, good. let's play for a while, and then we can move on to GURPS. ;D

Re: D & D Help Thread - Luinbariel - 02-24-2009

*is secretly learning to build NWN1 modules in her spare time*

Re: D & D Help Thread - Greatbacon - 02-25-2009

(02-24-2009, 11:26 PM)Versus-pwny- link Wrote: if this gets off the ground, good. let's play for a while, and then we can move on to GURPS. ;D
If we do, we should do it in a fallout setting.

Re: D & D Help Thread - Surf314 - 02-25-2009

(02-25-2009, 12:04 AM)Greatbacon link Wrote: [quote author=Versus-pwny- link=topic=2398.msg68735#msg68735 date=1235535991]
if this gets off the ground, good. let's play for a while, and then we can move on to GURPS. ;D
[/quote]

No Discworld  ;D ;D ;D

Re: D & D Help Thread - Chooly - 02-25-2009

I'm thinking of switching from a fighter to a ranger, will I be able to track creatures, use traps, and have a pet? Oh and poison-based attacks. Benito?

Re: D & D Help Thread - Versus - 02-25-2009

(02-25-2009, 09:18 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Greatbacon link=topic=2398.msg68741#msg68741 date=1235538283]
[quote author=Versus-pwny- link=topic=2398.msg68735#msg68735 date=1235535991]
[/quote]

No Discworld  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

pew pew lasers (or just guns in general) > fantasy

edit: a cinematic, yet historical PnP (think WWII) would be pretty awesome. GURPS would be good for this.

Re: D & D Help Thread - Radio Raheem - 02-25-2009

(02-24-2009, 11:29 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: *is secretly learning to build NWN1 modules in her spare time*

nobody suspects a thing. very sneaky