Hello There, Guest! Register

This job seeking thing is getting to me.
Blues
BRB, Posting

07-10-2009, 10:13 AM

(07-10-2009, 08:45 AM)rumsfald link Wrote: [quote author=Pokemon Trainer Blues link=topic=3243.msg96277#msg96277 date=1247230532]
You're applying a very specific criteria to this. Not everyone has the initial money, transportation, or creds necessary to search outside of an ACTUAL local area until they get the money to do so.

I am applying very specific criteria to this: How bad do you want to do things differently to improve your life?

When I didn't have a car, I had family and friends drive me to my first job shredding medical records in a dusty old attic of a run-down clinic. I busted my ass at that so hard that one of the bosses offered to start picking me up and dropping me off. Later, when I was a poor student, when I worked the 3 jobs I mentioned above and was a janitor, when I ate boxes of mac and cheese day after day so I would have enough change to operate the coin-operated washer in the basement of the 3-story apartment complex, I car-pooled.  4 years of car-pooling. I've used the bus, I've used the train, I took a gig at school so I didn't have to drive 2 places. I've done temp office secretarial work. I've done temp telemarketing (that was icky). I've been a per diem hospital orderly. I've been I volunteered and took below-min-wage positions and loans for school to boost my creds.

The specific criteria I am applying is: Do you have the necessary attitude to bust your ass to improve your circumstances? Frankly, Blues, you seem more focused on arguing about all the obstacles you perceive and use them to try to win an internet argument. But my advice isn't just for you, it's for anyone here that wants to read it.
[/quote]
No, your argument handles on being able to aquire the funds to improve your condition, which, as stated, is impossible without sheer luck in a LOT of instances. You had 3 jobs, great for you, go tell the people who can't get ONE how they should get three so they can go to college and improve their career opportunities. Wait no. Okay, go tell the people who can't get one that they should go get a couple so they can buy a car and get one further from home. That doesn't work either? Crazy. The reason I mentioned a 15 mile radius is because, save for walking or having a bus system that goes further than this, it's about the average that people start saying "no" to taking you to a job and picking you up every day. This isn't 1998 where you could randomly pop in some place and see if they needed help, you've got motherfuckers with 6 year degrees answering phones for $10 an hour so they can have a job. You have people who are trained in 10 years of a trade with their own tools and trucks who should be doing bids going and working for $9 an hour for some company because no one is offering them work. The young adult/college age group is suffering hard from the economy, because if they have no pre-existing privileges, they are quite literally fucked until they luck into something.

Attitude can take you so far, but in the current situation, people need to be realistic. Getting certs or schooling, or looking a bit past comfortable local if you have REAL experience is a decent tip, but unapplicable to 90% of the people who are here. 60 miles to work in a grocery store? You take home about 800 a month after taxes at a min wage job ASSUMING you get a full 40 every week. Driving 60 miles in an average car is something like 250 in gas a month. Now let's take on insurance for said car, rent, food, utilities, etc. Yeah, okay.

Lastly, there wasn't an argument, I pointed out that there's a bad situation/circle for people who don't have the necessary tools to start themselves and can't get them without a job, and you started in an attitude saves the day rant.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

07-10-2009, 10:23 AM

the only way to win is to not play

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

07-10-2009, 10:25 AM

(07-10-2009, 10:23 AM)zaneyard link Wrote: the only way to win is to not play

That's what I tried to do then Wedge made fun of me. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

(05-10-2009, 07:39 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote:in the straightest way possible i have to say honest is by far the best looking person here

zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

07-10-2009, 10:27 AM

(07-10-2009, 10:25 AM)SUPER MACHO MAN link Wrote: [quote author=zaneyard link=topic=3243.msg96344#msg96344 date=1247239420]
the only way to win is to not play

That's what I tried to do then Wedge made fun of me. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
[/quote]
wut why

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
rumsfald

07-10-2009, 11:13 AM

(07-10-2009, 10:13 AM)Pokemon Trainer Blues link Wrote: The reason I mentioned a 15 mile radius is because, save for walking or having a bus system that goes further than this, it's about the average that people start saying "no" to taking you to a job and picking you up every day.

Average commuting time varies between 16 and 41 minutes, over an average distance of 16 miles, so there plenty of people who drive further than 15 miles every day. You can aim for below average if you want, my suggestion is that, with the number of people out of work, it is to your advantage to aim higher than the average. If you don't apply for the job at mile 16, odds are some other guy 25 miles away will take it.

(07-10-2009, 10:13 AM)Pokemon Trainer Blues link Wrote: The young adult/college age group is suffering hard from the economy, because if they have no pre-existing privileges, they are quite literally fucked until they luck into something....Lastly, there wasn't an argument, I pointed out that there's a bad situation/circle for people who don't have the necessary tools to start themselves and can't get them without a job, and you started in an attitude saves the day rant.

[tt]RICHMOND, Va., March 24, 2009 – As Americans face an unemployment rate of 8.1 percent, teens and college students looking for that traditional summer job are expected to be hard-pressed to find work, according to a second-annual survey of more than 1,000 hourly hiring managers....

Similar to last year, a positive attitude remains the No. 1 thing hiring managers look for in a summer employee (36%).  The ability to work the daily schedule a hiring manager needs is the second-most important attribute (27%).  Previous experience in a given job or industry does not come into play until No. 3 (25%).

[/tt]
(07-10-2009, 10:13 AM)Pokemon Trainer Blues link Wrote: No, your argument handles on being able to aquire the funds to improve your condition,
No, my side of the debate hinges on facts. When I provide advice to people I like to provide information, not just my opinion. You're free to take my advice or ignore it.
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

07-10-2009, 11:28 AM

It took me 9 months to get a job, when I finally caved from looking for "real" jobs and settled for retail.  I was two days away from giving notice to my apartments and arranging to move back in with my parents (in Arizona =/)  Luckily I managed to get graveyard stocking at a grocery store, which is easily the least annoying crappy job you can have.  It probably sucks if you don't have any experience though.  My boyfriend managed to get work sitting on his ass at his computer at home and actually makes decent money doing a lot of nothing on it.  Only downside is he's gonna have to pay his own taxes...

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

07-10-2009, 01:40 PM

Just applied for several different grocers.

I really hope I'm not going to end up working at McDonalds or something.
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

07-10-2009, 01:49 PM

Here, not even McDonalds is hiring.  I do petsitting/pool maintenance for people in my neighborhood going on vacation for moneys.  Still not very much.

Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

07-10-2009, 02:00 PM

i live in a shithole, so i get paid to go to higher education like college, : )

which is kinda stupid, cause anyone with any qualifications leaves manc as soon as they can.

KorJax
BRB, Posting

07-10-2009, 02:11 PM

(07-10-2009, 11:13 AM)rumsfald link Wrote: [quote author=Pokemon Trainer Blues link=topic=3243.msg96338#msg96338 date=1247238820]
The reason I mentioned a 15 mile radius is because, save for walking or having a bus system that goes further than this, it's about the average that people start saying "no" to taking you to a job and picking you up every day.

Average commuting time varies between 16 and 41 minutes, over an average distance of 16 miles, so there plenty of people who drive further than 15 miles every day. You can aim for below average if you want, my suggestion is that, with the number of people out of work, it is to your advantage to aim higher than the average. If you don't apply for the job at mile 16, odds are some other guy 25 miles away will take it.

[/quote]

That's all well and good but I must assume those statistics apply mostly for people who work in full time jobs, in which case that kind of driving makes sense (much in the same way me driving 30 minutes to get to school makes sense).  If you're working a standard low paying part-time student job choosing to drive 40 minutes to get to your job is a little bit rediculous, unless the job is something that can directly relate to your career field or pays exceptionally well/good hours (something like an internship).

16 minutes isn't too bad though.  It takes me 10 minutes to drive to my current work place and it'll take about 13-15 minutes to drive at this hypothetical coffee shop I'm trying to get hired at.

[Image: a731e9e08c48b218b111e3275e851e8e.gif]
Ertai
Loves Shopping at the Banana Republic

07-10-2009, 03:03 PM

(07-10-2009, 11:13 AM)rumsfald link Wrote: [b]Similar to last year, a positive attitude remains the No. 1 thing hiring managers look for in a summer employee

Holy crap how did i ever get a job...

That said unemployment sucks.  Luckily i was only unemployed for 90 days before finding my new job 8 months ago.  I had to move a few hundred miles but i was expecting that.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2009, 03:05 PM by Ertai.)
Aerox

07-10-2009, 08:05 PM

(07-10-2009, 02:11 PM)KorJax link Wrote: 16 minutes isn't too bad though.  It takes me 10 minutes to drive to my current work place and it'll take about 13-15 minutes to drive at this hypothetical coffee shop I'm trying to get hired at.

Pfft, it takes me 16 minutes to get into my office and I live 2 miles away from work. And traffic isn't even bad. It's our office building's godforsaken parking garage. Luckily, we're moving offices next month. The sad part is that I will be 3 miles away, but the good part is I have a regular outside parking space now.
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

07-11-2009, 01:26 AM

hi, did someone say my name?

Geoff
Real World Azn

07-25-2009, 11:19 AM

Go act like a migrant worker and get hired on a farm.

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

07-25-2009, 12:00 PM

Versus can you hire me to be your butler? Sad I promise I won't touch you at night if you do.

Or I will <3 Whichever man.

(05-10-2009, 07:39 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote:in the straightest way possible i have to say honest is by far the best looking person here

Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

07-25-2009, 12:28 PM

I am now job hunting as well... I am not sure how this will go. My resume looks like shit 'cause I've been in university for the last two or three years...

*crosses fingers*
HeK
Rotartsinimda

07-25-2009, 12:46 PM

Basically most of my comments here would mirror those of Rumsfald.

In addition, apply for as many jobs as possible if if you know you would never work there. First step to getting a job is to prepare yourself, and job-hunting is a skill within its self.

Make sure you have an attractive resume. This goes well beyond content. Formatting and layout is worth more here; this is basically an advertisement for your skills. Make it as eye-catching and identifiable as possible while remaining professional. You need to be able to stand out.
I have been part of the hiring process and have personally thrown out resumes based entirely on their layout, errors, etc. Can't spell? Looks sloppy and goes to the bottom of the pile.

How one fares in an interview is also crucial. The only way to get better at this is by experience. Again, try to get as many shots at an interview as possible. Failing at McDonald's is acceptable when the experience you've gained helps you get the job for a position that you actually want.

Worst case, move to Canada Tongue
Really, our population is mostly retiring baby-boomers and we have a huge demand for skilled trades and laborers. I hear ads on the radio for roofing companies, construction, security, etc. looking for workers 2-3 times a day, and that's out of 90 minutes of listening to the radio!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inFORMation...s/work.asp
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

07-26-2009, 02:49 PM

i lied to FUCK on my CV, i think it helps.