Hello There, Guest! Register

Game of the Decade
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

12-04-2009, 01:28 AM

(12-03-2009, 12:56 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: In strictly MMO Space, I'd have to go with EvE or Planetside

Why?

Because in both of these MMOs your primary opponent is OTHER PEOPLE. Yea, sure, you can have instanced PvP in WoW, but its just not to the scale of something like EvE or even planetside. Some of the shit that has gone down in EvE involving player politicking, full scale wars, and actual real losses to both your character and the corporation you are in make it the most cutthroat and rewarding of MMOs.

Id give the credit of what this game is solely to Goon Swarm / Goon Fleet, they found a tiny backwater MMO with a free and completely open rule set and took griefing to the next level. But is it really griefing when its within the rules of the game? Which in EvE amounts to 'if you can do it without using a hacking utility, its fair game'.

Things like the Goonswarm Jihadi division just sound so deliciously fun, its hard to pass up.

Planetside I had an amazing time with but its potential was sorely squandered by SOE.
we had a macro miner we killed with a suicide attack Smile

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
Tricks
BRB, Posting

12-04-2009, 09:42 AM

(12-03-2009, 12:56 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: In strictly MMO Space, I'd have to go with EvE or Planetside

Why?

Because in both of these MMOs your primary opponent is OTHER PEOPLE. Yea, sure, you can have instanced PvP in WoW, but its just not to the scale of something like EvE or even planetside. Some of the shit that has gone down in EvE involving player politicking, full scale wars, and actual real losses to both your character and the corporation you are in make it the most cutthroat and rewarding of MMOs.

Id give the credit of what this game is solely to Goon Swarm / Goon Fleet, they found a tiny backwater MMO with a free and completely open rule set and took griefing to the next level. But is it really griefing when its within the rules of the game? Which in EvE amounts to 'if you can do it without using a hacking utility, its fair game'.

Things like the Goonswarm Jihadi division just sound so deliciously fun, its hard to pass up.

Planetside I had an amazing time with but its potential was sorely squandered by SOE.

I actually picked up a trial of Eve a couple weeks ago just to check it out. With around four hours of gametime, it looks like it could be difficult to catch up to somebody who has been playing for an exceptionally long time. Considering the skill-queue system of 24 hour blocks at a time, it looks like logging in every so often to keep training is what continues your character development.

It’s called “Barriers to Entry”; it just means it is a lot harder to catch up to others when the game has been out for so long. That doesn’t mean the game isn’t epic, it just means it would be tough to just walk in pick up without a mentor of some kind. Ever so often I read a post from somebody who says “I won EvE” just to see whatever people consider “winning the game”.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-04-2009, 10:00 AM

(12-04-2009, 09:42 AM)Tricks link Wrote: It’s called “Barriers to Entry”; it just means it is a lot harder to catch up to others when the game has been out for so long. That doesn’t mean the game isn’t epic, it just means it would be tough to just walk in pick up without a mentor of some kind. Ever so often I read a post from somebody who says “I won EvE” just to see whatever people consider “winning the game”.

That's partially the main reason I don't play it as it has such a steep learning curve and time commitment, but that still doesn't change the fact that it is the most free-form MMO and one of the few that's ever existed where you truly can "lose everything"

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
zaneyard

12-04-2009, 12:28 PM

(12-04-2009, 10:00 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Tricks link=topic=3906.msg125082#msg125082 date=1259937759]

It’s called “Barriers to Entry”; it just means it is a lot harder to catch up to others when the game has been out for so long. That doesn’t mean the game isn’t epic, it just means it would be tough to just walk in pick up without a mentor of some kind. Ever so often I read a post from somebody who says “I won EvE” just to see whatever people consider “winning the game”.

That's partially the main reason I don't play it as it has such a steep learning curve and time commitment, but that still doesn't change the fact that it is the most free-form MMO and one of the few that's ever existed where you truly can "lose everything"
[/quote]
what's funny is that the only learning curve in the game is the tutorial, and just learning all the names for things really
there really is no time commitment. you just log in before your training is almost done and put something else on there.
and no, you can't win eve

as far as catching up to others sure, it's going to take you a while to be good at everything, but it takes about a month to be decently good at a skillset. i've only played for about 4 months and i'm in a T1 battleship with all the best mods.

also, can't wait for planetside 2 Smile

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM by zaneyard.)
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

12-04-2009, 10:43 PM

(12-04-2009, 12:28 PM)zaneyard link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=3906.msg125083#msg125083 date=1259938841]
[quote author=Tricks link=topic=3906.msg125082#msg125082 date=1259937759]

[/quote]
what's funny is that the only learning curve in the game is the tutorial, and just learning all the names for things really
there really is no time commitment. you just log in before your training is almost done and put something else on there.
and no, you can't win eve

as far as catching up to others sure, it's going to take you a while to be good at everything, but it takes about a month to be decently good at a skillset. i've only played for about 4 months and i'm in a T1 battleship with all the best mods.

also, can't wait for planetside 2 Smile
[/quote]

Word, been playing two months and I got a pretty awesome battlecruiser.  And if you really want to start playing with good skills you could just start an account and log in once a day to put skills in your training queue, then log back off.  Repeat for a month and you'll be able to do plenty of stuff.

Benito Mussolini
1 More!

12-04-2009, 10:58 PM

Starcraft II

Diablo III

and Starcraft Ghost.

[move][glow=black,2,300]  Vote Benito 2012   [/glow]                                                         ï@.[/move]
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

12-05-2009, 01:39 AM

(12-04-2009, 10:58 PM)Benito link Wrote: Starcraft II

Diablo III

and Starcraft Ghost.

duke nukem forever

[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

12-05-2009, 04:03 AM

(12-05-2009, 01:39 AM)Versus-pwny- link Wrote: [quote author=Benito link=topic=3906.msg125186#msg125186 date=1259985504]
Starcraft II

Diablo III

and Starcraft Ghost.

duke nukem forever
[/quote]

Black Mesa >.>

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
zaneyard

12-05-2009, 04:05 AM

fuck you guys, i can't wait for SC2

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE