Hello There, Guest! Register

Official Natural Selection II Anticipation Thread
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

06-08-2009, 10:42 PM

(06-08-2009, 07:31 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: I don't know, Atom. I played a ton out of the original, probably more than I played pre-shield counter-strike and/or pre-source day-of-defeat. So, I pre-ordered armor del negro.
I'm still waffling. I should probably just man up and go for it since I know they'll do right by their preorders and do everything they can to make sure we feel like we've 'gotten our money's worth' since they did with the Constellation program, but I'm still on the fence.

It probably has to do with my general malaise when it comes to gaming - I take everything too casually to really get behind something and run with it. I really liked NS right when it came out, then when I came back to it a year or two later it was horrible mainly because it seemed like everyone who still played was pro, which made it rough since that game has a pretty steep learning curve to begin with, especially on the alien side of things. I'd liken it to the people who are still playing S&I and to a limited extent TFC and Dystopia as well. When a game's following is distilled down to its 'hardcore' members, it stops being fun for newbies and the player base just continues to shrink.

I think co_ was an attempt by the NS devs to combat that (pun only sort of intended) by giving newbies some other way of learning which of the weapons/classes/upgrades suits their playstyle in a relatively less pressured environment. It doesn't help you about learning how to build/use/maintain bases, though, which is one of the main features that I really liked about NS.

I won't ever forget one of the first games I played, I lucked into a commander spot and kept a game going for an ungodly amount of time before finally eking out a win. It was so satisfying knowing that orders were being carried out by actual people and that we were winning, and that I could make a difference in their games by helping give them a heads-up on approaching enemies as well as supplying them with weapons and ammo.

Fuck it, I'm preordering. They deserve the dough, as long as NS2 is as least as good as NS it should be worth it. Black armor better be pimp, though.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2009, 03:40 PM by at0m.)
rumsfald

06-09-2009, 04:38 PM

(06-08-2009, 10:42 PM)at0m link Wrote: I really liked XXX right when it came out, then when I came back to it a year or two later it was horrible mainly because it seemed like everyone who still played was pro, which made it rough since that game has a pretty steep learning curve to begin with and I didn't feel like devoting weeks or months to trying to re-learn that curve again. I'd liken it to the people who are still playing XXX and to a limited extent XXX and XXX as well. When a game's following is distilled down to its 'hardcore' members, it stops being fun for newbies and the player base just continues to shrink.

Modified slightly to reflect my general sentiment on every game I've ever stuck with for more than 2 months: Q3, Diablo II, CS, NS, DoD, DAoC, WoW, CoD4, TF2. But that's been exactly my experience. I've come to accept that my genuine and passionate devotion to any one videogame is intense but fleeting, in a Larry King kind of way.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

07-03-2009, 04:03 PM

"Meet the Onos" http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1001060p1.html

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

08-12-2009, 09:01 PM

New skulk and armory look bitchin'.

http://twitter.com/NS2 if you're a twitter-fag like me, totally worth it to watch the development of the game come along Smile

Gonna go ahead and pre-order this later this week once I cash some checks

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

08-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Hrmmmm, I dunno if I like the idea of marines being able to uy their own gear.  If res is still communal for marines, it'd have a lot of griefing potential/be purchased by players that suck.  Already bought this of course.  I relly hope Res for Kill never gets implemented.  Allows good players to essentially make the game un winnable for the other side.

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

08-20-2009, 06:17 PM

Bump.  Gorge reveal updated.  Based on what he can do, I might actual be interested in playing the fatty Tongue

<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

11-24-2009, 02:32 AM

Pre-alpha and editor released, but only to people who've preordered (SUCKAS)

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

11-24-2009, 02:59 AM

beta was supposed to be out in july so im really not disappointed i failed to preorder. the flamewar over auto-bite left me skeptical on where this is headed

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

11-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Autobite on leap is good.  Saves me needing to have exceptional timing for what is really just a basic attack.  Also playin on a slow comp will make it hard Tongue  Been messing with the editor, and it's really quite good.  Quite intuitive and leaps and bounds passed hammer for interface.  Still needs a lot of work, but I can see where it's going.

[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

11-25-2009, 06:52 PM

(11-24-2009, 02:32 AM)at0m link Wrote: Pre-alpha and editor released, but only to people who've preordered (SUCKAS)

I got bored and started messing about.  Nothing major, spent a few hours looking at props and generally mucking about.

[Image: storagec.jpg]
[Image: storage2.jpg]
[Image: storage3.jpg]

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

11-25-2009, 07:12 PM

That looks really good.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

11-26-2009, 04:09 AM

Thanks....even though it's just a square room full of props Tongue  My second room goes....unwell....partly due to laziness, and party due to the editor not functioning as advertised.  I don't think the current iteration likes massive subdivisions of faces to create a vent.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

07-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Alpha's out, but I can't get it to connect to a server. Anyone else have any luck?

Also, I'm reviving this thread over the other two because they're both short and lame, while this is the Official one.

rumsfald

08-11-2012, 06:59 PM

a little lerk whispered to me that the recent release of this is fairly playable.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

08-12-2012, 05:05 PM

(08-11-2012, 06:59 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: a little lerk whispered to me that the recent release of this is fairly playable.
I may have to boot that up when I get home and give it a try, then.

[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

09-04-2012, 04:30 PM

We really need to be playing more of this.  No, seriously.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

09-05-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:Karrde link=topic=2979.msg253249#msg253249 date=1346794205]
We really need to be playing more of this.  No, seriously.
I've had it installed and it's been downloading and installing updates periodically, but I really haven't booted it up since the tech test. I wonder if I have my Founder's Black armor?

[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

09-05-2012, 11:33 AM

*edit* Steam Link http://store.steampowered.com/app/4920/?snr=1_5_9__205

I don't think the black armor goes active until release.  Here's some vids.

Exosuit Trailer - A nice cinematic with some gameplay focused on the newly released Exosuit.  Kinda like a power armor or MAX suit.

NS2 | Exosuit Reveal Trailer

Total Biscuit (Cynical Brit) being shown the ropes of both sides by Hugh Jeremy (NS2HD/Unknown Worlds' marketing and video guy)

Marines
Natural Selection 2 Coverage - Marines

Aliens
Natural Selection 2 Coverage - Aliens

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2012, 01:10 PM by [fr31ns]Karrde.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

09-05-2012, 02:54 PM

Just got an email saying that they're offering anyone who preorders on Steam for $25 will get a free upgrade to the Deluxe ($40) version.

I wonder what I get, since I preordered 39 months ago. My reciept says "Special Edition". This email says I probably will be getting a free copy to give away, I wonder if that's all.

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

09-05-2012, 04:41 PM

39 months ago, jesus christ