Hello There, Guest! Register

Steam coming to Macs in April. [Surf, Ain, and Karth's only]
backfire
Uninstalling

03-10-2010, 03:51 AM

The point being, now anyone who already owns a mac will soon be able to access steam and all of valve's games. I doubt any serious gamer would then use this as an excuse to go buy a mac seeing how you can build a much more powerful custom rig for the same price as a decent spec mac, but this really caters more to the people who are either mac-stubborn, or who need/have one.

I say this is a great marketing move by Valve. The market share of mac-owners is on the rise, and by letting this other side of the computer market access steam, they essentially get first dibs on all mac-owners who wish they could access more games.

[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
2.4mb sig ノ(ಠ‿‿ಠノ)            (╯ಠ‿‿ಠ)╯︵bıs qɯ4˙2
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

03-10-2010, 07:03 AM

(03-10-2010, 03:51 AM)backfire link Wrote: The point being, now anyone who already owns a mac will soon be able to access steam and all of valve's games. I doubt any serious gamer would then use this as an excuse to go buy a mac seeing how you can build a much more powerful custom rig for the same price as a decent spec mac, but this really caters more to the people who are either mac-stubborn, or who need/have one.

I say this is a great marketing move by Valve. The market share of mac-owners is on the rise, and by letting this other side of the computer market access steam, they essentially get first dibs on all mac-owners who wish they could access more games.

I have a MacBook Pro at work and so do most of my colleagues, I used to have a linux laptop at work but when I got to choose my next laptop, I chose this MBP without hesitation because it has better commercial support than linux (think Adobe amongst others), good quality hardware/software combination, (sleep/wake up always works without fail) very nice UI (imho better than anything Linux and Windows have to offer although I miss the customisability of KDE) AND still has all the UNIX tools I need/want/love to work with under the hood. I work most of my time on the command line and prefer to do that, windows doesn't have anything that really compares. (Powershell is more to write scripts on than to actually work in and cygwin doesn't integrate well enough)

These are the reasons why I prefer Mac OS X over Windows but my machine at home still runs Windows because I like to play games... If Valve's support of Mac OS X gets more developers to cross develop their games, ditching Windows will be an actual option for people who like to play games...

So, this also matters a lot for gamers as this will give us more choice in our environment and that's something I welcome with open arms, to have the same choice in the software I run on my gaming rig as I do when I choose a video card for said rig. Now all we need is Apple to sell OS X (legally) on custom PCs (unlikely) or gaming developers to add Linux to their supported platforms...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-12-2010, 06:41 AM

wait...I just had a thought....

Does this mean that we have to call mac users who play Pyro W+Mouse instead of W+Mouse1

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Spore
2 guys, no cups necessary

03-12-2010, 07:46 AM

(03-12-2010, 06:41 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: wait...I just had a thought....

Does this mean that we have to call mac users who play Pyro W+Mouse instead of W+Mouse1

*Joke about only available class for Mac owners being Backburner Pyro*

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

03-12-2010, 09:06 AM

(03-12-2010, 06:41 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: wait...I just had a thought....

Well, technically all "mac" mouses have two buttons. They're pressure sensitive.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-12-2010, 09:16 AM

(03-12-2010, 07:46 AM)Spore link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=4270.msg141107#msg141107 date=1268394083]
wait...I just had a thought....

*Joke about only available class for Mac owners being Backburner Pyro*
[/quote]

In my goal to get a bronze in everything on HLX...that means I will need to use the backburner at least once...eventually

Sig by Joel
HeK
Rotartsinimda

03-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Awards only keep for 28 days.... at least I think they do....
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-12-2010, 05:58 PM

(03-12-2010, 04:32 PM)HeK link Wrote: Awards only keep for 28 days.... at least I think they do....

No, they're permanent, the medals at least, otherwise I wouldn't have the stash that I do

Sig by Joel
K2
BRB, Posting

03-12-2010, 07:26 PM

Global awards are the last 28 days, daily award medals are permanent.
backfire
Uninstalling

03-14-2010, 01:42 AM

Alright, after setting it up to play warsow on the mac side, I realized one VERY important issue... the mouse acceleration curve for OSX is "very fucked up"

In a nut shell, small movements are minuscule, but move that mouse just a little faster and your movement is multiplied by 3 or something. Which means when you try and make up for the sluggish movement by moving the mouse a little faster, the cursor goes to warp speed and you overshoot your target.

Now, this is bad enough just in the desktop, but after trying warsow, the problem is muuuuch worse. If there's someone just a little to your left, you'll try and move left but undershoot your target. If someone's behind you, trying to quickly snap back 180 degrees will cause you to pull a full 360. The problem isn't just sensitivity, it's the inconsistent and horribly based acceleration curve which isn't really a curve at all.

Any time I plug in a mouse on the mac, it feels wrong. Not different, but just simply wrong. It's an issue that people have been complaining about for years and apple just doesn't seem to notice. With this horrible mouse support, I can't imagine KNOW trying to play an fps on osx will and DOES suck.

I have my razer drivers working with this thing called SteerMouse which makes it at least toleration, but it's still annoying as hell when I switch back to windows and play tf2 in that. I'm hoping valve will throw out some sort of solution. A far-fetched idea, yeah, but this steam on mac thing won't stop me from switching to windows to play games when I'm out.

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

03-14-2010, 01:55 AM

So you assumed this after playing a lousy quake rip-off? I'm willing to bet Valve has looked into this.
backfire
Uninstalling

03-14-2010, 02:28 AM

(03-14-2010, 01:55 AM)Karth del Top Hat link Wrote: So you assumed this after playing a lousy quake rip-off? I'm willing to bet Valve has looked into this.

Quake rip off, perhaps. Lousy, I think no. It wasn't the game in specific anyways, but the fact that all fps's will have this issue.

You have a mac. Install any fps on there and give it a shot. Tell me how good your aim is even after configuring the hell outta the sensitivity.