Hello There, Guest! Register

New/Improved Longest Thread
rumsfald

06-03-2012, 03:22 PM

(05-28-2012, 07:57 AM)HeK link Wrote: In before new camera thread.

http://youtu.be/bEwUnENlc9M
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

06-03-2012, 09:38 PM

I'm thinking about about buying a Rosetta Stone because I want to learn spanish this summer. The reasons to learn it just tipped the scale and I need to stop putting it off. But I'm not sure Rosetta Stone is the best way to go. I have a native speaker in the house to practice with, I just need the vocab and everything. Should I buy a book instead? Teaching myself a language is not something I'm comfortable with.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

06-03-2012, 09:45 PM

(06-03-2012, 09:38 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I'm thinking about about buying a Rosetta Stone because I want to learn spanish this summer. The reasons to learn it just tipped the scale and I need to stop putting it off. But I'm not sure Rosetta Stone is the best way to go. I have a native speaker in the house to practice with, I just need the vocab and everything. Should I buy a book instead? Teaching myself a language is not something I'm comfortable with.
The Rosetta stone programs walk you though it. If you're willing to pay the iron price, you can try them out first, then get made fun of by your wife for your terrible accent once you get some of the vocab down.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Didzo
Uninstalling

06-03-2012, 10:22 PM

(06-03-2012, 09:38 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I'm thinking about about buying a Rosetta Stone because I want to learn spanish this summer. The reasons to learn it just tipped the scale and I need to stop putting it off. But I'm not sure Rosetta Stone is the best way to go. I have a native speaker in the house to practice with, I just need the vocab and everything. Should I buy a book instead? Teaching myself a language is not something I'm comfortable with.

Have said native speaker to only talk to you in in Spanish.

Not really a serious suggestion, but you'll probably learn quicker than with any book or software.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

06-03-2012, 10:23 PM

(06-03-2012, 09:45 PM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=2632.msg246646#msg246646 date=1338777481]
I'm thinking about about buying a Rosetta Stone because I want to learn spanish this summer. The reasons to learn it just tipped the scale and I need to stop putting it off. But I'm not sure Rosetta Stone is the best way to go. I have a native speaker in the house to practice with, I just need the vocab and everything. Should I buy a book instead? Teaching myself a language is not something I'm comfortable with.
The Rosetta stone programs walk you though it. If you're willing to pay the iron price, you can try them out first, then get made fun of by your wife for your terrible accent once you get some of the vocab down.
[/quote]

I've seen pirate versions of RS and it looks pretty user friendly. Having a native speaker around will help wonders too.

That said, I've never actually used the programs to learn languages myself. I do have half a mind to pirate the German RS so I can catch up on a year of not taking German, though.

'Meditation is supposedly the only way to Enlightenment because the only way to find this truth is through inner reflection - therefore, what you are finding to be the truth in your personal journey should ultimately be exactly what I find to be the truth, though all of our journeys are unique.'
Greatbacon
The Most Delicious of All Meats

06-04-2012, 01:59 PM

(06-03-2012, 10:23 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=2632.msg246650#msg246650 date=1338777916]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=2632.msg246646#msg246646 date=1338777481]
[/quote]

I've seen pirate versions of RS and it looks pretty user friendly. Having a native speaker around will help wonders too.

That said, I've never actually used the programs to learn languages myself. I do have half a mind to pirate the German RS so I can catch up on a year of not taking German, though.
[/quote]

I dinked around with a torrented French Rosetta Stone.  As far as teaching you vocab goes, I think it will do alright.  They ease you into things pretty quickly, and it is set up in a pretty straightforward, regimented exercises program.  If you make yourself do X of these exercises per day, then talk them over with your native speaker, you'll probably do alright.

I did take a Study of Language class last year though, and the topic of Rosetta Stone came up.  What my professor had to say was that while it can help (especially with building up a basic vocabulary and grammar sense) it isn't a magical curall and it will really only take you to a basic level of competence, and that in order to get yourself to a level fluency will involve lots of conversations with native speakers and some actual study of the grammar and such.
matter11
BRB, Posting

06-04-2012, 02:14 PM

(06-04-2012, 01:59 PM)Greatbacon link Wrote: [quote author=Dr. Zaius link=topic=2632.msg246654#msg246654 date=1338780186]
[quote author=at0m link=topic=2632.msg246650#msg246650 date=1338777916]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=2632.msg246646#msg246646 date=1338777481]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I dinked around with a torrented French Rosetta Stone.  As far as teaching you vocab goes, I think it will do alright.  They ease you into things pretty quickly, and it is set up in a pretty straightforward, regimented exercises program.  If you make yourself do X of these exercises per day, then talk them over with your native speaker, you'll probably do alright.

I did take a Study of Language class last year though, and the topic of Rosetta Stone came up.  What my professor had to say was that while it can help (especially with building up a basic vocabulary and grammar sense) it isn't a magical curall and it will really only take you to a basic level of competence, and that in order to get yourself to a level fluency will involve lots of conversations with native speakers and some actual study of the grammar and such.
[/quote]

[Image: muzzy.gif]

I'd also suggest trying to find some older edition spanish textbooks for cheap.

[Image: SKihE.gif]
kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

06-04-2012, 02:33 PM

I like Matter's suggestion of buying old textbooks. I personally like the format of textbooks more than a computer software such as Rosetta Stone (I've looked at the one for German) because you are encouraged to write in the language for the exercises, which really helps with remembering the material. You can look up what books universities use for their intro Spanish class and pick the one you like the most. Pronunciation would be the only drawback to learning from textbooks as you won't have a teacher there to correct your mistakes (but I guess you have a native speaker friend?). Also buy a Spanish-English dictionary!

~

I've been thinking about renting an alto sax and self-teach myself for a month or two since I've wanted to try the instrument for over a year now. If there are any sax players here, lend me some tips? I've been playing classical music for 15 years but playing jazz styles is completely foreign to me.

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
Saxxy
BRB, Posting

06-04-2012, 03:41 PM

(06-04-2012, 02:33 PM)Käse link Wrote: I've been thinking about renting an alto sax and self-teach myself for a month or two since I've wanted to try the instrument for over a year now. If there are any sax players here, lend me some tips? I've been playing classical music for 15 years but playing jazz styles is completely foreign to me.

I stopped playing after high school, but...

If you want to play jazz, I suggest renting a tenor sax.  The alto is smaller and cheaper, but simply doesn't sound as good, and its higher range is basically useless unless you want to play the solo in Tank!
Tank! Cowboy Bebop (Full version)
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-04-2012, 03:47 PM

s1kc t1p: the native speaker in his house is his wife

Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

06-04-2012, 04:20 PM

(06-04-2012, 02:33 PM)Käse link Wrote: I like Matter's suggestion of buying old textbooks. I personally like the format of textbooks more than a computer software such as Rosetta Stone (I've looked at the one for German) because you are encouraged to write in the language for the exercises, which really helps with remembering the material. You can look up what books universities use for their intro Spanish class and pick the one you like the most. Pronunciation would be the only drawback to learning from textbooks as you won't have a teacher there to correct your mistakes (but I guess you have a native speaker friend?). Also buy a Spanish-English dictionary!

~

I've been thinking about renting an alto sax and self-teach myself for a month or two since I've wanted to try the instrument for over a year now. If there are any sax players here, lend me some tips? I've been playing classical music for 15 years but playing jazz styles is completely foreign to me.

I played Alto Sax from 3rd grade until 8th. Can't remember a thing about it. I think the sax itself is still sitting in my parents crawlspace.

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
Neptune
Lurker

06-04-2012, 04:54 PM

(06-04-2012, 04:20 PM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: [quote author=Käse link=topic=2632.msg246683#msg246683 date=1338838391]
I like Matter's suggestion of buying old textbooks. I personally like the format of textbooks more than a computer software such as Rosetta Stone (I've looked at the one for German) because you are encouraged to write in the language for the exercises, which really helps with remembering the material. You can look up what books universities use for their intro Spanish class and pick the one you like the most. Pronunciation would be the only drawback to learning from textbooks as you won't have a teacher there to correct your mistakes (but I guess you have a native speaker friend?). Also buy a Spanish-English dictionary!

~

I played Alto Sax from 3rd grade until 8th. Can't remember a thing about it. I think the sax itself is still sitting in my parents crawlspace.
[/quote]

I used to play alto sax 4th - 12th grade.  Last time I used my sax was a few years ago for a Cowboy Bepop cosplay.  Tips, though?  It's hard to give tips for learning an instrument.  Don't puff out your cheeks, I guess.  That's a good way to blow out those muscles.
k0ala
BRB, Posting

06-04-2012, 05:00 PM

RIP Edouard Khil (Edward Hill) a.k.a. Trololo Guy.

http://en.ria.ru/world/20120604/173831212.html

[Image: i9pkpXG.jpg]
kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

06-04-2012, 05:06 PM

(06-04-2012, 04:54 PM)Neptune link Wrote: [quote author=Dtrain323i link=topic=2632.msg246696#msg246696 date=1338844821]
[quote author=Käse link=topic=2632.msg246683#msg246683 date=1338838391]

~

[/quote]

It's hard to give tips for learning an instrument. 
[/quote]
On the contrary, I can give beginners many violin tips if they want. It's the little useful things that I learned through years of playing that I think beginners might benefit from knowing right away (such as what kind of weight distribution when gripping the bow to reduce fatigue).

I might rent an alto for a month and a tenor for a month then.

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
matter11
BRB, Posting

06-04-2012, 06:11 PM

(06-04-2012, 05:06 PM)Käse link Wrote: [quote author=Neptune link=topic=2632.msg246698#msg246698 date=1338846898]
[quote author=Dtrain323i link=topic=2632.msg246696#msg246696 date=1338844821]
[quote author=Käse link=topic=2632.msg246683#msg246683 date=1338838391]

~

[/quote]

It's hard to give tips for learning an instrument. 
[/quote]
On the contrary, I can give beginners many violin tips if they want. It's the little useful things that I learned through years of playing that I think beginners might benefit from knowing right away (such as what kind of weight distribution when gripping the bow to reduce fatigue).

I might rent an alto for a month and a tenor for a month then.
[/quote]

take a look at real books kase.

Also while we're on the subject of learning Spanish I'd like to chastise Saxxy for not learning it despite living in Tayhoss

[Image: SKihE.gif]
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-04-2012, 06:56 PM

pretty sure you don't need to know spanish to function in downtown austin

K2
BRB, Posting

06-04-2012, 07:12 PM

(06-04-2012, 02:33 PM)Käse link Wrote: I've been thinking about renting an alto sax and self-teach myself for a month or two since I've wanted to try the instrument for over a year now. If there are any sax players here, lend me some tips? I've been playing classical music for 15 years but playing jazz styles is completely foreign to me.

Screw Saxxy, alto's awesome (though I do think tenor does sound better). If you haven't played a reed instrument before, your lower lip is definitely going to hurt for your first week or so of playing. Make sure you get a reed that's at a comfortable strength for you; if it's too high, you'll pop a lung trying to produce a sound. In terms of jazz, the biggest thing to get used to is the swing rhythm. Listen to some recordings (and try playing along with them if you can) to get a feel for it, and don't try too hard to keep everything perfectly on beat. An important thing to note is that the swing actually comes more from just accenting the offbeat than from delaying it.

Also make sure you use a neck strap, even when sitting down. You can't really play if you're spending half your energy just holding the thing up.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM by K2.)
Saxxy
BRB, Posting

06-05-2012, 11:32 AM

(06-04-2012, 06:56 PM)versus link Wrote: pretty sure you don't need to know spanish to function in downtown austin
rumsfald

06-06-2012, 06:21 PM

http://youtu.be/FQMO6vjmkyI
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

06-06-2012, 07:08 PM

I got a job offer for a decent paying IT position starting next month and continuing through early next year, kinda "we need extra people for a rollout, but afterward probably not."  I can't seem to be excited about this.