Hello There, Guest! Register

Heavy Updates... Next Week?
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

08-19-2008, 08:13 AM

(08-18-2008, 07:19 PM)KorJax link Wrote: Read  http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

Also, they're on the west coast of the US. So they could update at 3pm, which is a pretty reasonable time until you realize that's like midnight in UTC.

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

08-19-2008, 08:24 AM

(08-19-2008, 08:10 AM)J-Master link Wrote: [quote author=Luca Shoal link=topic=1155.msg31893#msg31893 date=1219142391]
I don't think you get one life in the Arena thing. You'll respawn as normal...but your team loses if you're ALL dead at the same time.
"Arena concentrates on the specific tactical choices the teams make in a single fight. The round ends once one team has no players left in the arena."  Sounds like sudden death to me.
[/quote]

As you can see I highlighted the key statement there and added extra emphasis to the most important word - Arena.  We don't know what the arena is yet, it could be a portion of the map or it could be the entire map.  If it is the whole map then yes it would just be like sudden death, but if it is just a portion of the map then it would be pretty awesome as well.

Also if it was a portion of the map Geoff's RPS map would be a fucking amazing arena map.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

08-19-2008, 09:12 AM

also...

5v5 your west CAL-O ar_any, pm me!

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-19-2008, 10:36 AM

Arena is going to suck, they claim 5 maps...bullshit, they made 2 and "reworked" 3 others. You know why a lot of servers either turn off sudden death or have stuff like melee only sudden death?

Cause no one wants to fight, and thats exactly what this is going to be.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

08-19-2008, 10:42 AM

(08-19-2008, 10:36 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Arena is going to suck, they claim 5 maps...bullshit, they made 2 and "reworked" 3 others. You know why a lot of servers either turn off sudden death or have stuff like melee only sudden death?

i think their intent is to cater to the competitive crowd. i honestly don't expect any pubs to run it, but i am looking forward to 1000's of scrims with the pwny crew :-X

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

08-19-2008, 10:55 AM

(08-19-2008, 10:36 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Arena is going to suck, they claim 5 maps...bullshit, they made 2 and "reworked" 3 others. You know why a lot of servers either turn off sudden death or have stuff like melee only sudden death?

pussy, i for one would love a figfht where dieng actually maters!
fuck if they would make a warrior class i would play the fuck out of it.

Budr

08-19-2008, 11:03 AM

I've always lobbied for sudden death, never understood people's objection to it. It's a refreshing change in tactics and I'm looking forward to the new mode.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-19-2008, 11:07 AM

(08-19-2008, 10:42 AM)TDlove link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1155.msg31919#msg31919 date=1219160213]
Arena is going to suck, they claim 5 maps...bullshit, they made 2 and "reworked" 3 others. You know why a lot of servers either turn off sudden death or have stuff like melee only sudden death?

i think their intent is to cater to the competitive crowd. i honestly don't expect any pubs to run it, but i am looking forward to 1000's of scrims with the pwny crew :-X
[/quote]

Even with the competitive crowd, thats not how I would want to play TF2, its going to make several classes next to worthless, like engineers. For example in the "arena" well the first team to either kill all of the opposing team or to capture the center point wins.

The only way an engineer is going to be useful is if its like Loqutus playing, and even then in a competitive environment you aren't going to get that gun up likely.

Sniper and Spy will be huge due to the one hit kill, and since most maps dont have med-packs that puts increased emphasis on medics and pyros. Some people will like it, but don't expect to see it on #1 much, maybe if duck likes it he might toss it on #2 sometimes. The other problem is this seems like a game mode that begs to be no-crit, but they will still delist servers for doing that.

Sig by Joel
Dave

08-19-2008, 11:20 AM

(08-19-2008, 11:07 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=TDlove link=topic=1155.msg31920#msg31920 date=1219160537]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1155.msg31919#msg31919 date=1219160213]

Even with the competitive crowd, thats not how I would want to play TF2, its going to make several classes next to worthless, like engineers. For example in the "arena" well the first team to either kill all of the opposing team or to capture the center point wins.

The only way an engineer is going to be useful is if its like Loqutus playing, and even then in a competitive environment you aren't going to get that gun up likely.

Sniper and Spy will be huge due to the one hit kill, and since most maps dont have med-packs that puts increased emphasis on medics and pyros. Some people will like it, but don't expect to see it on #1 much, maybe if duck likes it he might toss it on #2 sometimes. The other problem is this seems like a game mode that begs to be no-crit, but they will still delist servers for doing that.
[/quote]

i dont see why a server being delisted is that much of a problem, or why everyones so concerned with us getting pubs and growing into a bigger group, dont get m wrong i love more people, but we should be more bothered about the people we have now than not doing something just so pubs who dont even want to use the custom tab will join the server.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-19-2008, 11:25 AM

(08-19-2008, 11:20 AM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1155.msg31931#msg31931 date=1219162071]
[quote author=TDlove link=topic=1155.msg31920#msg31920 date=1219160537]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1155.msg31919#msg31919 date=1219160213]

[/quote]

i dont see why a server being delisted is that much of a problem, or why everyones so concerned with us getting pubs and growing into a bigger group, dont get m wrong i love more people, but we should be more bothered about the people we have now than not doing something just so pubs who dont even want to use the custom tab will join the server.
[/quote]

No one, ever uses the custom tab and they never ever will. Thats why server ops put like 'Customs' 'No Crits' 'Instant Spawn' in the server title, those are your 'tags' right there. Operators constantly bitch at valve for doing it over the Dedicated server emailers.

You're also failing to see the big picture, a community is only as fresh as the people that join it, if you languish on the customs tab its going to be the same group of people playing all the time, you get new people by have those randoms join up, a lot of people here at one point were 'randoms' who had a good time and decided to stay, so its vital that the server be visible to all players, no matter what game mode/type is being played Wink

Sig by Joel
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

08-19-2008, 11:46 AM

(08-19-2008, 11:25 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=Dave link=topic=1155.msg31935#msg31935 date=1219162837]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1155.msg31931#msg31931 date=1219162071]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No one, ever uses the custom tab and they never ever will. Thats why server ops put like 'Customs' 'No Crits' 'Instant Spawn' in the server title, those are your 'tags' right there. Operators constantly bitch at valve for doing it over the Dedicated server emailers.

You're also failing to see the big picture, a community is only as fresh as the people that join it, if you languish on the customs tab its going to be the same group of people playing all the time, you get new people by have those randoms join up, a lot of people here at one point were 'randoms' who had a good time and decided to stay, so its vital that the server be visible to all players, no matter what game mode/type is being played Wink
[/quote]

C-C-C-C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Surf314

08-19-2008, 12:08 PM

(08-19-2008, 11:46 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1155.msg31936#msg31936 date=1219163122]
[quote author=Dave link=topic=1155.msg31935#msg31935 date=1219162837]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1155.msg31931#msg31931 date=1219162071]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why do people keep putting their responses in quote boxes?

Edit: WTF? it happened to me too?

cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

08-19-2008, 12:13 PM

It's seems like every update I hear at least one person complain about it. At least they are giving us new shit to fiddle with instead of dealing with the same old cp dustbowl shit over and over. Damn..be fucking appreciative.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-19-2008, 12:45 PM

(08-19-2008, 12:13 PM)cbre88x link Wrote: It's seems like every update I hear at least one person complain about it. At least they are giving us new shit to fiddle with instead of dealing with the same old cp dustbowl shit over and over. Damn..be fucking appreciative.

Id be more appreciative if it was DOM Sad

Sig by Joel
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

08-19-2008, 12:48 PM

(08-19-2008, 12:08 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=ainmosni link=topic=1155.msg31945#msg31945 date=1219164361]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1155.msg31936#msg31936 date=1219163122]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

Because someone along the line deleted an end quote tag. I blame Dave.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Surf314

08-19-2008, 12:55 PM

(08-19-2008, 12:45 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=cbre88x link=topic=1155.msg31955#msg31955 date=1219165988]
It's seems like every update I hear at least one person complain about it. At least they are giving us new shit to fiddle with instead of dealing with the same old cp dustbowl shit over and over. Damn..be fucking appreciative.

[/quote]

DOM would have been great.  We were sort of setting ourselves up for disappointment though because we were all excited for DOM or hunted.  No matter what we got if it wasn't one of those 2 we would have been upset.

Dave

08-19-2008, 12:59 PM

(08-19-2008, 12:48 PM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1155.msg31954#msg31954 date=1219165699]
[quote author=ainmosni link=topic=1155.msg31945#msg31945 date=1219164361]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1155.msg31936#msg31936 date=1219163122]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

Because someone along the line deleted an end quote tag. I blame Dave.

Big Grin

ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

08-19-2008, 01:55 PM

(08-19-2008, 12:45 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=cbre88x link=topic=1155.msg31955#msg31955 date=1219165988]

[/quote]

There are at least six more big updates coming you know... They can't give out all the candy too early. Tongue

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
rumsfald

08-19-2008, 02:36 PM

(08-19-2008, 11:25 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: ...a community is only as fresh as the people that join it, if you languish on the customs tab its going to be the same group of people playing all the time, you get new people by have those randoms join up...

Translation, "I think we ought to see other people."
ConsFEARacy
Lurker

08-19-2008, 03:22 PM

http://steamgames.com/tf2/heavy/sandvich

They haven't linked it yet on the update page, but because I'm such a hacker, here you go!!!

Edit: Nevermind, they just linked it... Sad

Edit edit: It's a good thing I don't take this game very seriously...
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2008, 03:28 PM by ConsFEARacy.)