Hello There, Guest! Register

CHICAGO BEARS FTW!
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

09-07-2008, 10:33 PM

Who would have thought it?  A Bears team that had such a shitty year last year was able to dominate the colts and leave Peyton Manning baffled.  Could playoffs be in their sights this year?

[Image: kyle-orton-drinking-deadspin-com.bmp]

And this guy will lead us there
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

09-07-2008, 10:44 PM

[Image: orton.jpg]

The man is made of win and beard, good game tonight

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

09-07-2008, 11:17 PM

Pfffffft, my Vikings will pwn your silly leetle men!  (right after they're done getting raped in green bay tomorrow night :\ )

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
jorge
It's pronounced yor-ge

09-07-2008, 11:46 PM

Rams will go all the way.

In my dreams.

MrGrey
GreyC Denton

09-08-2008, 03:01 AM

cowboys baby... Felix Jones is my new chocolate love toy

Neonie

09-08-2008, 08:08 AM

LOL WATERED DOWN RUGBY LOL!

Seriously: I hate sports in general but it's really irritating how everyone worships that one particular sport.
ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

09-08-2008, 08:21 AM

F FOOZBALL!

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
Tragic Hero

09-08-2008, 08:39 AM

(09-08-2008, 08:08 AM)Neonie link Wrote: LOL WATERED DOWN RUGBY LOL!

Seriously: I hate sports in general but it's really irritating how everyone worships that one particular sport.

It's more about pride in your city than love of a sport.  I am a big fan of every Chicago sports team (except for womans basketball and softball).

Besides I don't know why everyone raves about Rugby.  Sure it's a tough sport but there isn't a whole lot of skill involved.  Guys just grab assing eachother and kicking a ball.  You say football is watered down rugby but I say football is Rugby but with some order added to it.
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

09-08-2008, 09:10 AM

(09-08-2008, 08:39 AM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: [quote author=Neonie link=topic=1362.msg37235#msg37235 date=1220879321]

It's more about pride in your city than love of a sport.  I am a big fan of every Chicago sports team (except for womans basketball and softball).

Besides I don't know why everyone raves about Rugby.  Sure it's a tough sport but there isn't a whole lot of skill involved.  Guys just grab assing eachother and kicking a ball.  You say football is watered down rugby but I say football is Rugby but with some order added to it.
[/quote]

fuck you t.h, rugby is all about the skill.

Tragic Hero

10-12-2008, 03:34 PM

*sigh*  God damn Bears.  They had the game won today but stupid coaching decides that a "squib" kick is the best option when ATL can win with a field goal.  And then our retarded pass defense decides to NOT defend the long pass and they lose with one second left.

Bears are such a talented team but they have such shitty coaching this year.
Vongore
The Chilean God of Lightning

10-12-2008, 04:53 PM

Gooooooooal!

Sarin
Lurker

10-12-2008, 05:41 PM

(09-08-2008, 09:10 AM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=Tragic Hero link=topic=1362.msg37244#msg37244 date=1220881195]
[quote author=Neonie link=topic=1362.msg37235#msg37235 date=1220879321]

[/quote]

fuck you t.h, rugby is all about the skill.
[/quote]

Damn straight

I saw an exhibition match of american football a few years ago and it was the longest, most boring game I have ever seen.... even worse than Rugby League  :o

But Rugby union is easily the best football-game out there (I'll reserve golf for the best sport  ;D)

Union > ALF > Soccer > League > Badminton > Croquet > Watching grass grow > American football

[Image: statsci4.jpg]
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

10-12-2008, 05:53 PM

Football

English fucking football

The crowd before and after

hitting a small child in the face

epic.

rumsfald

10-12-2008, 06:00 PM

(10-12-2008, 05:41 PM)Sarin link Wrote: Union > ALF > Soccer > League > Badminton > Croquet > Watching grass grow > American football

[Image: union-cat-is-on-a-break.jpg] is greater than [Image: ALF.jpg] which is greater than [Image: gay-soccer.jpg] which is greater than...

[Image: 57645-justice-league-of-am_400.jpg] which is greater than [Image: badminton.jpg] which is greater than [Image: croquet1.jpg] which is greater than...

[Image: weed-bikini.jpg] which is greater than [Image: 0071413197.jpeg]
Tragic Hero

10-12-2008, 06:01 PM

(10-12-2008, 05:41 PM)Sarin link Wrote: Damn straight

I saw an exhibition match of american football a few years ago and it was the longest, most boring game I have ever seen.... even worse than Rugby League  :o

But Rugby union is easily the best football-game out there (I'll reserve golf for the best sport  ;D)

Union > ALF > Soccer > League > Badminton > Croquet > Watching grass grow > American football

I don't know how to respond to that.  You can like Rugby and hate American football sure but to have Rugby above European football?  Now I don't know what to think.

Really, I am usually open minded to all sports but I really can't understand the appeal of Rugby.  No finess in it at all.

PS:  Rummy Wins
Sarin
Lurker

10-12-2008, 07:07 PM

(10-12-2008, 06:01 PM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: [quote author=Sarin link=topic=1362.msg43942#msg43942 date=1223851298]

blah blah rugby rules

I don't know how to respond to that.  You can like Rugby and hate American football sure but to have Rugby above European football?  Now I don't know what to think.

Really, I am usually open minded to all sports but I really can't understand the appeal of Rugby.  No finess in it at all.

[/quote]

Clearly very open-minded  :-\

Personally the main reasons that push soccer down on my list are:

Penalties. Seriously, they have plenty of cameras watching the game, there's no need to be stubborn, just use them to see if a foul was actually committed. The current system just encourages fakers that spoil the spirit of the game.

No salary caps. This is one thing holding back the competition. Without a cap, the team with the most money is just going to have the best players and thats how you get stuck with the same 4 teams at the top of the ladder every year.

Plays over too quickly. This one is just a matter of taste, but when my team is trailing or need points, I like the feeling of them slowly but surely breaking down the opposition. This is one thing rugby has over the other sports on my list. In rugby one team has the ball until they screw up or the other team actually does something. In soccer its just back and forth with max suspense of like 2 seconds. Not sure if I explained this one that well  Tongue

Discuss

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

10-12-2008, 07:36 PM

(10-12-2008, 07:07 PM)Sarin link Wrote: [quote author=Tragic Hero link=topic=1362.msg43946#msg43946 date=1223852483]
[quote author=Sarin link=topic=1362.msg43942#msg43942 date=1223851298]

blah blah rugby rules

[/quote]

Penalties. Seriously, they have plenty of cameras watching the game, there's no need to be stubborn, just use them to see if a foul was actually committed. The current system just encourages fakers that spoil the spirit of the game.

No salary caps. This is one thing holding back the competition. Without a cap, the team with the most money is just going to have the best players and thats how you get stuck with the same 4 teams at the top of the ladder every year.

Plays over too quickly. This one is just a matter of taste, but when my team is trailing or need points, I like the feeling of them slowly but surely breaking down the opposition. This is one thing rugby has over the other sports on my list. In rugby one team has the ball until they screw up or the other team actually does something. In soccer its just back and forth with max suspense of like 2 seconds. Not sure if I explained this one that well  Tongue

Discuss
[/quote]

Rugby is nice, but the one argument is that American Football is somehow a 'pussy' version of it because they wear pads. In rugby everyone starts fairly close to each other, there's not room to gain momentum. In American football players are running near top speed as they slam into each other.

Before they wore heavy pads/helmets people died from the impacts.

Imagine these guys wearing no helmets or thin leather ones
Another montage

When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something.

- Dick Butkus

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Tragic Hero

10-12-2008, 07:44 PM

(10-12-2008, 07:07 PM)Sarin link Wrote: [quote author=Tragic Hero link=topic=1362.msg43946#msg43946 date=1223852483]
[quote author=Sarin link=topic=1362.msg43942#msg43942 date=1223851298]

blah blah rugby rules

[/quote]

Discuss
[/quote]

I meant I am open minded due to the fact that I will give every sport a watch.  I am an avid fan of many sports:  "soccer", football, hockey, baseball, tennis, golf, even badmitton.  But Rugby just doesn't entertain me I guess.

Very valid points on why you pushed soccer down your list.  The salary cap point was your best one and I do agree with it although it is nice to see certain teams who just build up a good youth squad of people from their country/nation end up winning said league.

(10-12-2008, 07:36 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Rugby is nice, but the one argument is that American Football is somehow a 'pussy' version of it because they wear pads. In rugby everyone starts fairly close to each other, there's not room to gain momentum. In American football players are running near top speed as they slam into each other.

Another montage

When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something.

- Dick Butkus

Classic and win
Sarin
Lurker

10-12-2008, 07:54 PM

(10-12-2008, 07:36 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Rugby is nice, but the one argument is that American Football is somehow a 'pussy' version of it because they wear pads. In rugby everyone starts fairly close to each other, there's not room to gain momentum. In American football players are running near top speed as they slam into each other.

Another montage

- Dick Butkus

Really, they're probably not going much faster than people do in rugby, they're just being idiots.

Most of those tackles are headbutts and shoulder charges. If the tacklers weren't wearing pads they'd be fucked up too.

In rugby you don't see those kinds of tackles because people aren't out to hurt themselves, tackles are controlled to minimise injury becuase its just as easy for a tackler to get hurt as it is for the guy he's tackling.

Seriously, the guys doing those tackles are clearly trying to injure people and are fucking idiots  :'(

ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

10-13-2008, 08:50 PM

(10-12-2008, 07:54 PM)Sarin link Wrote: Really, they're probably not going much faster than people do in rugby, they're just being idiots.

Most of those tackles are headbutts and shoulder charges. If the tacklers weren't wearing pads they'd be fucked up too.

In rugby you don't see those kinds of tackles because people aren't out to hurt themselves, tackles are controlled to minimise injury becuase its just as easy for a tackler to get hurt as it is for the guy he's tackling.

Seriously, the guys doing those tackles are clearly trying to injure people and are fucking idiots  :'(

That's the thing. Hitting people is approached very differently in those two sports. In rugby, no doubt at least partly due to the lack of pads, you don't really hit as much as you just take them down. You want to take them down as easily as possible so you can more quickly help your team get control of the ball as the play hasn't ended.

In American football the play ends when you take the person down. So, there is an incentive to hit extra hard as a means of intimidation. I mean honestly, if someone hit me really hard when I was running the ball, I'd be just a little bit more nervous/paranoid next time I'm running the ball that that person is going to hit me again just as hard. Football is very much a game of mental/physical toughness and intimidation, only emphasized by the constant breaks in play that occur.

At least that's the experience I've taken from each sport, having played both throughout high school.

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER