Hello There, Guest! Register

Inception discussion - Don't click if you haven't seen
Didzo
Uninstalling

07-26-2010, 01:09 AM

(07-25-2010, 03:14 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: I don't get it.

Cats are at the border of natural and supernatural.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

07-26-2010, 11:07 AM

(07-26-2010, 01:09 AM)Didzo link Wrote: [quote author=Luinbariel link=topic=4820.msg166101#msg166101 date=1280088875]
I don't get it.

Cats are at the border of natural and supernatural.

[/quote]

OOOOH.

Well then.

[Image: happy_kitty.jpg]
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

07-26-2010, 08:15 PM

[Image: SIQ59.jpg]

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Chief
BRB, Posting

07-26-2010, 10:53 PM

Inception Music Comparison

damn

Didzo
Uninstalling

07-26-2010, 11:00 PM

(07-26-2010, 10:53 PM)TheDarkChief link Wrote: Inception Music Comparison

damn

And it goes right back to the limbo loop theory.

Luinbariel

07-26-2010, 11:22 PM

(07-26-2010, 11:00 PM)Didzo link Wrote: [quote author=TheDarkChief link=topic=4820.msg166306#msg166306 date=1280202816]
Inception Music Comparison

damn

And it goes right back to the limbo loop theory.

[/quote]

I win at Inception, yay!

Seriously though, that's really cool.

I also love how the name of the song is basically "I regret nothing"
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2010, 11:24 PM by Luinbariel.)
K2
BRB, Posting

07-26-2010, 11:45 PM

http://revolvingdoorproject.net/2010/07/...t-the-end/
Luinbariel

07-26-2010, 11:50 PM

Hm, that link brings up an interesting point that I never saw.

But if the ring were his actual totem, why would he even bother spinning the top at all? To carry the totem as a momento is one thing, but to spin it multiple times as a reality check is another. I don't buy the wedding ring thing as his totem, or even as a possibly consistent element. It could be that the representation of himself as married changes in the dreamspace a few times, but I would not call it reliable.

Chief
BRB, Posting

07-27-2010, 12:01 AM

The thing that is confusing everyone is the "Limbo" level - the dream shared by everyone. Because the sedative of Yusuf's is so strong, anyone who dies in the dream of any level is sent into limbo. This limbo level is shared by everyone (or so I believe), so because Cobb has already achieved in getting to limbo before, "his" limbo is shown - or rather, his part of limbo. The reason Cobb and Ariadne knew how to get out of limbo (by providing another kick out of limbo) is because they had gotten into it by once again sedating themselves: they know they were in the dream.

The reasons why Fischer knew that level three was a dream and limbo wasn't, and why Saito comments when Cobb finds him that they must return to reality. Before, Saito didn't know this - he had already created his part of limbo and believed that it was reality. Only after Cobb finds Saito with and Saito remembers the spinning top that he realized he wasn't in a dream. By then killing himself and Cobb (thereby providing a kick) and because time is multiplied from what it was in the previous level, there is a great chance that Saito and Cobb did get through all the kicks.

TL;DR, although it was pretty small...
-Limbo is shared by all the dreamers. (When Cobb and Mal were in limbo together, it wasn't created by either of them at first - they had built it together.)
-Cobb has already achieved limbo before - therefore his part of limbo (where he and Mal had once been) is still there, and then constructed again in the Inception's limbo.
-The bad thing about limbo is if that you get there by dying, you believe that you are in reality again, because dying should be a kick. However, the powerful sedative prevented this.
-Saito was missing in limbo, and therefore recreated his reality, and believed that limbo was reality - much like Cobb and Mal once did. Remember how the scenery at the beginning of the movie matches what is shown by Cobb meeting Saito in the Inception's limbo.
-A kick is the only way out of limbo. Not knowing that limbo isn't reality is the problem.
-Time is multiplied A LOT in limbo. It is possible there was enough time to get through all kicks.

Luinbariel

07-27-2010, 12:22 AM

I disagree. I was under the impression that the limbo itself did not remain after one left it (if they were able to). So yes, while Cobb had been in limbo before, it a> did not persist once he left it and b> might not even have been his own.

In fact I think it's safe to say that the first limbo was Mol's and the second was his; hers was a life of dreams for them to share and his was the sad, decrepit realization that they could never actually be true, hence the world in his limbo was falling apart.

I also don't agree that if one dies and is brought to limbo, they believe they are alive; I think that the nature of a completely unconstructed dreamspace would be enough to make someone realize something was up, or at the very least take time to get used to. Especially if one was aware of what limbo was before entering a dream.
Didzo
Uninstalling

07-27-2010, 12:33 AM

(07-26-2010, 11:50 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: Hm, that link brings up an interesting point that I never saw.

But if the ring were his actual totem, why would he even bother spinning the top at all? To carry the totem as a momento is one thing, but to spin it multiple times as a reality check is another. I don't buy the wedding ring thing as his totem, or even as a possibly consistent element. It could be that the representation of himself as married changes in the dreamspace a few times, but I would not call it reliable.

The ring being there or not being there could be a representation of his current feelings toward Mol. Cobb is a tortured man, his mind in constant turmoil beneath a calm surface.

Chief
BRB, Posting

07-27-2010, 12:42 AM

(07-27-2010, 12:22 AM)Luinbariel link Wrote: I disagree. I was under the impression that the limbo itself did not remain after one left it (if they were able to). So yes, while Cobb had been in limbo before, it a> did not persist once he left it and b> might not even have been his own.

In fact I think it's safe to say that the first limbo was Mol's and the second was his; hers was a life of dreams for them to share and his was the sad, decrepit realization that they could never actually be true, hence the world in his limbo was falling apart.

I also don't agree that if one dies and is brought to limbo, they believe they are alive; I think that the nature of a completely unconstructed dreamspace would be enough to make someone realize something was up, or at the very least take time to get used to. Especially if one was aware of what limbo was before entering a dream.
But Cobb's part of limbo did remain (according to my theory) and as he continued on with his life, this part of limbo was visually collapsing before them - years and years have past, which once again relates to how limbo is in a slower time than reality. What could have been one year in real life was most likely hundreds in Cobb's part of limbo, and with no one there to maintain it, it slowly degenerates, much like what is seen at the end.
-Also, they got to limbo by sedating themselves again and again until they arrived there - therefore they know that they are in limbo.

I can't really comment on this one seeing as my theory is that limbo is shared, other than Mol and Cobb created their part of limbo together, and most of what I said earlier.

Remember what Cobb said that once Ariadne entered their first dream shared together - "Do you remember how you got here?" Ariadne did not, but they knew they were in a dream. However, because of the effect of the sedative, Saito died in the third level, believed that it was a kick (he was not there for the part of the scene where they described what limbo was, therefore not knowing it as well), and constructed his part of limbo. Cobb merely travelled to this Saito's part in order to kick themselves out.

A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

07-27-2010, 01:15 AM

I saw it tonight, and was thinking, "this is pretty freakin epic" throughout the entire film. 

Then the ending, and it is an instant classic.  You will be watching this film in 30 years, with your kids. 

Then this, and I was once again reminded that attention to detail > all.

I haven't read any of this thread, so I hope I didn't just run over someone's puppy.  But if I did; your puppy was stupid anyways for not getting out of the way. 

bah, screw you K2, beat me to it.  I'm posting anyways.

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

07-27-2010, 07:28 AM

I think the really clever bit about the movie is how much it was about movie making and story telling in general. On NPR they said that that scene with the mirror actually was revealing a classic special effect but doing it in the context of creating a dream and not a movie. So while there was many narrative puzzles there was also this big overtone of this is what we do in this business: we create a dream for you and implant an idea in your head, and if we do it right it doesn't go away.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Didzo
Uninstalling

08-06-2010, 05:51 PM

[Image: inceptionp1.jpg]

Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

08-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Saw this tonight. One thing that I couldn't get over was the fact that the sedative the guy made supposedly left inner ear function intact, yet they decide to perform the inception on an airplane (a trans-pacific flight if I remember correctly.) I've flown back and forth over the Pacific dozens of times, and there is almost always enough turbulence at some point during the flight that gives you the feeling of your stomach jumping into your throat. Seems kind of retarded, but I still enjoyed it.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-09-2010, 05:35 AM

[Image: pE19x.jpg]

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Spore
2 guys, no cups necessary

08-09-2010, 04:15 PM

http://disneycomics.free.fr/Ducks/Rosa/s...033&s=date

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
chronomaster
BBP Gardevoir

08-10-2010, 12:01 AM

Cobb is living a fever dream, and is schizophrenic. None of it is real, and it is at the lowest point (in 'limbo') that he first fragments his mind, by incepting into one of his projections, his wish fulfillment of a wife: Mol. Thus, as he spirals upward through his dreams, Mol becomes his polar opposite, and his other projections begin to scatter; what were once uniform in the lower dreams, now they act individually. Ariadne makes a concern known at an odd point in the movie; near the end, she asks worriedly if harming the projections has any effect on the person they're related to, which Cobb snaps back coldly that they do not. A bit odd to pop in near the end of the movie.

Also, Ellen Page makes a hot office lady. Spoiler alert.

Geoff
Real World Azn

08-10-2010, 12:08 AM

(08-09-2010, 04:15 PM)Spore link Wrote: http://disneycomics.free.fr/Ducks/Rosa/s...033&s=date

dear god

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel